PDA

View Full Version : Pool Htr

moreyes
06-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Our pool is about 13 yrs old and we have the original Raypak htr ( money waster) it might be near the end of its life, is there a more efficient boiler out there?

Do they make an on demand unit similar to the domestic water htrs out there? I have one of these in my house and it is awsome and energy efficient.

FYI I converted my a/c to a heat pump-pool htr works awsome put a water cooled condensor on it run te pool water thru the condensor, keeps the pool at 89 or so when the ac is on, but when the ac doesnt run when it cool ouside the water gets chilly, it knocked 80.00 a month of out gas bill:D

Poconos
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm glad to hear somebody did that with the water-freon exchanger. I've been mentioning that for years.

Those on-demand heaters are all electric I believe and just simply aren't big enough to do anything to a pool. I really don't know what to suggest that may be more efficient than gas. Maybe oil? Heat pumps are in there somewhere but they have a much lower BTU output than fossil fueled units and therefore slow heating. Also their efficiency drops when the air temp drops which is when you need heat. Unless you could tap a well for a geothermal heat source. All depends on energy rates.
Al

Edit: How could I forget solar? Me with 1200' of black pipe in the back field and a 4x20' mat inside the poolfence.

waterbear
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
If you live in a climate that makes heat pumps an option then pool heat pumps are second only to solar in operating costs. Heat pump and solar together is probably the most efficient way to go at the present state of technology but the initial expense will be high.

moreyes
06-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Nope its a Nat gas wtr htr, rated at 190,000 btuhr, it has a variable rate output, and is 88% eff if i recall. Does our whole house

giroup01
06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Just a suggestion here, if we could do away with the abbreviations it would make searching for threads easier.