PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer Problems

RochesterMark
06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm having trouble getting a stabilizer reading in my poll this year. It has been at zero for about 6 weeks. I have been working with my pool builder/store to correct the problem. Nothing is working so far. Here is the pool stats.

Current:
Pool: 22000 Gal in ground
Cyanuric Acid: 0
Total Alkalinity: 100
pH: 7.2
Salt: 3400
Chlorine Total: 0
Chlorine Free: 0

Past:
5 weeks ago:
Added 8lbs or stabilizer. Did not backwash for the next 2 weeks.
Stabilizer readings taken weekly with readings of 0 each time.

3 weeks ago:
Added 4lbs or stabilizer. Did not backwash for the next 2 weeks.
Stabilizer readings taken weekly with readings of 0 each time.

1 week ago:
Pool store gave 10lbs of new stabilizer. They called the stabilizer manufacture about the problem and they thought it was a bad batch of stabilizer. I added 8lbs of new stabilizer and have 2 days before I get my next reading taken. Still can't keep any chlorine in the pool ( FC = 0, TC = 0).

I ran of chlorine check of water coming directly out of the SWCG and had readings of FC = 2 and TC = 2 so I know that it is working.

One last note the stabilizer was mixed with warm water added through the skimmer each time.

Thanks

waterbear
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
how are you testing the stabilizer levels?

RochesterMark
06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
The pool store has been doing it with the standard Taylor tester. The one where you look down into the sample to view the dot at the bottom.

Watermom
06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
At this point, I certainly hope it is a bad batch of stabilizer and not a bad bottle of testing reagent or tester error otherwise you're gonna have a lot of CYA in there! You have put 22 lbs. of stabilizer in there and in a 22,000 gallon pool, that would be enough to take the cya up to 125ppm!!!