PDA

View Full Version : Punp speed & SWCG Efficiency

RochesterMark
06-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Does a SWCG work any bettor when a pump is running on low speed vs running on high speed? My SWCG (IntelliChlor 40) looks like it produces more when my pump is running on low speed.

mas985
06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I haven't seen much of a difference on high vs low speed but the only reason I can think of why it would be better on low speed is that the chlorine gas has twice as long in the pipes to dissolve in the water before reaching the returns. Do you happen to have short runs from the pad? Also, what do you mean that it "looks" like it produces more?

RochesterMark
06-24-2010, 09:25 PM
The it is about 30ft to the pool form the pad. As for looks when I run the pump on low the water coming out of the jets looks hazy or cloudy. I'm guessing from the byproduct O2 that is produced by the SWCG. I don't see it when the pump is on high.

waterbear
06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
The it is about 30ft to the pool form the pad. As for looks when I run the pump on low the water coming out of the jets looks hazy or cloudy.

I'm guessing it's a bit of cavitation from the pump on low speed. The only way to tell if there is more chlorine at low vs high speed would be to test the chlorine levels coming out of the return on both speeds.

mas985
06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I think what you are experiencing is what some other have reported as well on low speed. The chlorine production rate for high or low speed should be about the same which means they will generate the same amount of Hydrogen gas bubbles. However, because low speed has half the flow rate, the Hydrogen bubbles will look twice a dense and so they tend to look like a cloud coming out of the returns rather than random bubbles.