PDA

View Full Version : Sand Filter Troubles

Robbin
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I am now at my wits end. I just can't figure it out. My filter has now been running 10 days and still will not clear water (blue and cloudy). (Filter and sand are 2 years old). Every few hours(6-7) my pressure goes way up, I do a backwash it comes back down and seems normal. If I try to vacumn I lose my pressure, and the gauge goes up. Went to the pool store and I got the response "Change your sand". Just doesn't add up to me, I need to understand what is going on. I also tried adding the 2 cups of DE and about 2 hours later up goes my guage and down goes my pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel like the filter has turned into a roller coaster.

JohnT
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
It sounds like your pool is pretty dirty, and the pump performance isn't all that odd if so. If you can, try vacuuming to waste, which will avoid clogging the sand.

Robbin
05-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Really not that dirty. I do have a small group of leaves still on the bottom. About 2 feet by 2 feet. But that is about it. Pool is blue and full of small floating particles.

JohnT
05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Really not that dirty. I do have a small group of leaves still on the bottom. About 2 feet by 2 feet. But that is about it. Pool is blue and full of small floating particles.

The fact is, those small floating particles are being filtered out, and dirtying the filter in the process. I would scoop the leaves out.

imfignewton
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Add liquid floc (Down and Out) to your pool then vacuum to waste. Make sure you follow the directions on the bottle and add extra water to the pool if you are vacuuming from the skimmer.

duraleigh
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Robbin,

It is possible you are going down the wrong track. If you posted some test numbers, that might be very revealing. If you could do FC, CC, CYA, CH, and pH....then tell us how many gallons in your pool and if it's concrete or vinyl.

You simply might need a good dose of Chlorine. :)

I'm not sure I agree with the floc, I'd like to Identify it before trying to cure it.

The chances of it being your sand are extremely remote.

Poconos
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Robbin, just for the record I wouldn't add DE at this stage. Get the bulk of the crud out of the pool, whatever the crud is, then use the DE addition for the really fine stuff that's left over. As Dave said, identify the real problem first.
Al

Robbin
05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
My chlorine was a bit low, gave it a good shock today, fingers are crossed.

duraleigh
05-03-2006, 07:39 PM
My chlorine was a bit low, gave it a good shock today, fingers are crossed.

Hi, Robin,

Mine are crossed, too. Without measuring how much ppm in Cl you have, it's only a guess as to whether you put in enough....or can keep in enough.

Get yourself a test kit and post some numbers and we'll help you get the pool clear......with skill.....not luck! :) :)