PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on SWG brand to install

jfallen
05-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me determine the suitability of a SWG for my current pool equipment set-up! I now am faced with the dilemma of which brand to purchase. I have found quite a bit of info on this forum and others regarding the Goldline Aqua-Rite system, so I have been leaning towards that brand. However, our local pool service/parts company is really pushing the Ecomatic. They are also telling me I can almost certainly expect the Aqua-Rite cell to fail in 3 years, and that the Ecomatic has far less service calls and failure rate.

I'm not sure if the store is just pushing this brand due to better mark-ups, etc., (my quote for each system was virtually the same) and for the life of me I cannot find very much info on the potential pros and cons of this system.

I'm having a hard time making an informed decision on which way to go.

If anyone has any experience or opinions with this brand I would greatly appreciate any info you might have.

Davenj
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
You should get a few responses. I have an Autopilot system since last summer. Works great, no problems and had the features I wanted. Can't speak for the other systems.

tonyl
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm on my 5th year with the AquaRite and original cell....but my pool season is only 5-6 months. I read somewhere they estimate a cell life to be 8,000-10,000 hours of use. Roughly, If the output setting is 50% and you run the pump 8 hours a day you're using 4 hours of cell life. Keeping the CYA level up to their recommendation of 60-80 and salt level up will enable a lower output setting and extend the cell life. Hope this helps, Tony

P.S. Not plugging AquaRite.....I think you'll be fine with any brand.

mas985
05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
If your in need of a full controller as well as a SWG, the Aqualogic unit made by Goldline Controls gives you both for much less than if purchased separately.

waterbear
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me determine the suitability of a SWG for my current pool equipment set-up! I now am faced with the dilemma of which brand to purchase. I have found quite a bit of info on this forum and others regarding the Goldline Aqua-Rite system, so I have been leaning towards that brand. However, our local pool service/parts company is really pushing the Ecomatic. They are also telling me I can almost certainly expect the Aqua-Rite cell to fail in 3 years, and that the Ecomatic has far less service calls and failure rate.
Standard hard sell tactic.
I'm not sure if the store is just pushing this brand due to better mark-ups, etc., (my quote for each system was virtually the same) and for the life of me I cannot find very much info on the potential pros and cons of this system.

I'm having a hard time making an informed decision on which way to go.

If anyone has any experience or opinions with this brand I would greatly appreciate any info you might have.
Don't be bullied by the store becuase that is the only brand they sell.

HooStat
05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Best is pretty subjective. The ones from the major manufacturers all work. If you have a controller, I would get a chlorine generator that is compatible with your controller. Jandy used to support other brands, but the last I heard, the don't any more. I use Pentair stuff, and I can control the generator from my touch pad. I wouldn't use anything else because of the convenience factor.

This may not be applicable to you, but I just wanted to make sure you consider how it fits with the rest of your system too.

krentko
05-03-2006, 05:18 PM
I have been using the Pool Pilot / Autopilot DIG-220 since June 2005. I absolutly love it. I have a very large IG and last year was the easiest season I have ever had, due to the SWG. I don't know much about the other brands, but, do your research and go with the one that you feel the most comfortable with.