PDA

View Full Version : Pump problem/replacement

GILESNRH
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a plaster pool (25Kgallons) over 15 years old with original pump. Pump is Hayward Super Pump SP-1615-21-M MODEL #C48M2N111. The pump motor has been getting noisier and now I am noticing a significant drop off in suction at my skimmer, which is furthest away from the pump. I am considering replacing the pump and motor. We currently have the house listed for sale. Should I replace in kind?

Poconos
06-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome to Poolforum.

Wonder if it could just be the impeller is gunked up. Sometimes things get past the skimmer and pump baskets and get tangled in the impeller. Especially stringy things. Make sure the pump cannot come on by dumping the breaker. Don't rely on it being off with a timer in the circuit. Remove the pump basket and stick you fingers in the inlet hole at the bottom of the pump chamber and see if you can feel stuff in there.
Bearing noise should have no effect on pumping action. They just make noise until they fail to the point the whole shaft wobbles. At that point things are pretty much destroyed.
Mine is a 1607 but I did a Google on your part and seems like a 2 speed. Don't know what to say about replacing for the next owners. I'd be tempted to leave as is and make potential buyers aware of the problem and let them decide. You could always replace it with something cheaper.
Al

Searcher
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I have a plaster pool (25Kgallons) over 15 years old with original pump. Pump is Hayward Super Pump SP-1615-21-M MODEL #C48M2N111. The pump motor has been getting noisier and now I am noticing a significant drop off in suction at my skimmer, which is furthest away from the pump. I am considering replacing the pump and motor. We currently have the house listed for sale. Should I replace in kind?

If you do have a motor going south on you... I had my dual speed motor rebuilt about 5 years ago, after 20 years use and she is humming right long. Any small motor rebuilder can handle the chore. The other thing to concern yourself with is the old seal, impeller and guts of those older pumps. I found an upgrade setup for like 30 bucks which, so says Hayward, increases the flow and reduces motor strain. The kit even came with a new seal. Every thing was easy to replace as long as you put the new seal in the same way as the old one came out. if there are no leaks, you wont need to replace but I figured that since I pulled the motor, I may as well rebuild the guts as well.

Poconos
06-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Bumping to the top.
Anyone else with thoughts on this?

mas985
06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I would agree that it sounds like it might be a clogged impeller. This could be confirmed with the filter pressure being lower than normal.

Pool Clown
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
If we could just hear the pump, i bet all of us could tell what it was right away.