PDA

View Full Version : Test Results from pool store

jrtvols
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I am new to maintenance of pools and am having a little trouble. The pool was green when the cover came off so I shock with a lot of Calcium Hypochlorite. The pool then turned to a cloud. Started to read this forum and realized I probably would need some floculent. Well this took care of the cloudiness but after several vacumns to waste there still seems to be a cloud only in the deep end of the pool so I decided to get tested.

FC .2
TC .2
CC 0
PH 7.4
Alkalinity 20ppm
Cyanuric Acid 20ppm

I have 26,000 gal in ground w/vinyl liner at 72 degrees. They recommend this:

5 pounds of dry shock-Calcium Hypochlorite

36 pounds of Alkalinity plus

4 pounds of Stabalizer

Does this sound about right or do I need to take another approach? Thanks in advance.

DavidD
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
How have you been adding chlorine in the past? Also, you did not give a calcium harness reading (CH). You said you'd already shocked with cal hypo so there's bound to be some calcium. Here's what I'd recommend:

2 gallons of plain, ultra bleach, 6% sodium hypochlorite (should raise your FC to almost 5, don't worry, it'll go back down in the sunlight)

12 pounds of plain old baking soda, Sams has a great 12 lb re-sealable bag. Buy two. (should raise ALK to near 80, and will raise PH slightly)

Read through the forum and especially the sister site at http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/10things.html

That's it. Watch the next 24 hours to see if the cloudiness disappears. The cal hypo may have caused the clouds as this is common after shocking with it. Also, keep a close eye on your chlorine consumption. Try to keep FC (free chlorine) at 2. Definitely test for CH, and buy your own kit. The sister site (Pool Solutions) has the best. You may initially think it is expensive but I assure you, you will find out it is worth every penny.

Dave