PDA

View Full Version : More on PoolBusters

CarlD
05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
When the PoolBuster first hit the stores, I acted like a little kid and bought one on impulse. Much to my surprise, it worked AMAZINGLY well--so well I stopped using my manual vacuum completely, relying on the PB and the Dolphin Robotic.

However, I found battery life to be incredibly disappointing. I thought it was just grandiose claims and thought, well, that's the price. It's still a good gadget. I didn't contact PB about it until recently, well after the warranty ran out.

Big mistake. They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

But the new battery/motor is fairly easy to install, and BOY! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's running like it's supposed to again. I also ordered the silt bag--it, too, increases the PB's effectiveness.

I don't know about the newer PoolBuster models, but I am still very, very pleased with mine. It's like a new unit again.

tjcat
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi, I read your post on the dolphin pool cleaner but haven't been able to find it. We ordered a 28 ft above ground. There seem to be 2 choices in robotic cleaners for above ground pools, the aquabot pool rover and the dophin roboclean, do you use an inground cleaner?
Thanks, tj

kevincad
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
When the PoolBuster first hit the stores, I acted like a little kid and bought one on impulse. Much to my surprise, it worked AMAZINGLY well--so well I stopped using my manual vacuum completely, relying on the PB and the Dolphin Robotic.

However, I found battery life to be incredibly disappointing. I thought it was just grandiose claims and thought, well, that's the price. It's still a good gadget. I didn't contact PB about it until recently, well after the warranty ran out.

Big mistake. They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

But the new battery/motor is fairly easy to install, and BOY! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's running like it's supposed to again. I also ordered the silt bag--it, too, increases the PB's effectiveness.

I don't know about the newer PoolBuster models, but I am still very, very pleased with mine. It's like a new unit again.
Can you attach the thing to a handle?

CarlD
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi, I read your post on the dolphin pool cleaner but haven't been able to find it. We ordered a 28 ft above ground. There seem to be 2 choices in robotic cleaners for above ground pools, the aquabot pool rover and the dophin roboclean, do you use an inground cleaner?
Thanks, tj

Oh, there are a LOT more than that..There's the "Blue Diamond" (i think).

I have the Dolphin Dynamic--and I use it on a vinyl AG pool--but it's more like an IG--16x40 rectangle, with a 5.5' deep end. Hard sided--the water is not a structural element--merely holds the liner in place.

CarlD
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Can you attach the thing to a handle?

Yup. Has a standard fitting like a skimmer or brush. It wouldn't be worth it without it, but that's a good question.

tphaggerty
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I just got one of these this year (new pool), I was on the fence until I read CarlD's post in the "old" forums. I bought the CG model, supposedly 1/3 more suction and charges in 2 hours (instead of 8). So far, it has been wonderful. We don't currently have any type of robot (I have an Aquabot Pool Rover Plus on order, didn't really want a "scrubbing" unit, this one just uses water pressure to clean). The CG model includes the fine filter bag which traps silt and fine dirt really well.

The thing sounds like a toy until you put it into the water. Then you can just feel a little vibration through the pole. We have run ours about 30 to 40 minutes at a time with no problem. You do need to clean out the filter bag more often than WaterTech says, but we use a small bucket and it is no problem. We used it on opening, took several days to really clean up the silt that had fallen through our mesh winter cover, but now we use it once a day before swimming. We use the little roller wheels instead of the brushes, supposedly (according to the Watertech website) this provides more suction and is safe for vinyl.

My wife loves it, it is SOOOOO much easier to use than the regular vacuum setup. If it had a larger coverage and filter bag I might even consider not getting an automatic cleaner!

larry2338
05-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Just a tip:
I notice these regularly sell on ebay for $165-$175. Compare shipping charges as they vary a lot.

Davenj
05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the review. I have a spill over spa and this looks like the way to go.

salinda
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Carl,

I completely agree on the PoolBuster. I have the newer Turbo version. I love it for the spillover spa and the steps. I have a lot of Ca precipitate in my spa and the silt bag captures a lot of it if I go SLOWLY. Very simple, effective design and worth every penny imo.

jenmenke
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I, too, love my PoolBuster. I've had some issues with water getting inside the "water tight" compartment where the battery is, but as long as I unscrew it and leave it on it's side, it's great. I used to use a manual pump-action vacuum for my steps, now I use this. And since I hate my Polaris 380 misses lots of areas, I just zip it up with my Poolbuster.

jfalken
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am thinking of using one of these as the primary cleaner for my pool and have a few questions. The pool is a 34x14 mostly rectangular fiberglass pool. It takes about 15 minutes exery few days to clean it with the hose and vacuum head that came with the pool. Being in a new subdivision, we get no leaves and just a little dust, grass clippings and lots of little creepy guests in the basket. The pool uses de and the only bummer is that every month or so, I have to backwash and refill the DE because of using the vacuum. Would this pool buster be a good replacement for the hose and vacuum? At less than 30 minutes a week, I certainly can't justify a robot, but $200 is not bad if it would work. Thanks for your help.

bbb
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am thinking of using one of these as the primary cleaner for my pool and have a few questions. The pool is a 34x14 mostly rectangular fiberglass pool. It takes about 15 minutes exery few days to clean it with the hose and vacuum head that came with the pool. Being in a new subdivision, we get no leaves and just a little dust, grass clippings and lots of little creepy guests in the basket. The pool uses de and the only bummer is that every month or so, I have to backwash and refill the DE because of using the vacuum. Would this pool buster be a good replacement for the hose and vacuum? At less than 30 minutes a week, I certainly can't justify a robot, but $200 is not bad if it would work. Thanks for your help.

I haven't "taken the plunge" on a PoolBuster - I budget for 2 pool improvements a year - last year it was for a heat pump and a Polaris 380 rebuild kit; this year it is a SWG and a solar cover reel. :). The PoolBuster *may* be on my list for next year. Sounds good for you as an alternative to a robot. However, my secondary cleaner works just about as well - and it also keeps stuff out of my DE filter. It is simply a very inexpensive (under $30) LeafEater (http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/clean.php) - scroll down in the link to see it - that I inherited from the prior owner, with a fine mesh replacement bag that I got at my local pool store. The fine mesh bag converts it into a general purpose cleaner - it's not just for leaves anymore! I stick a little piece of pool noodle in it to keep the bag floating, and the venturi action (which is the same way the Polaris booster vacs work) picks up the same kind of gunk that the Polaris picks up. The bag is over twice the size of a Polaris bag, so it can hold a lot of stuff. The only negative, of course, is that you are using water, but in reality a 5 to 10 minute fill in your pool from a garden hose isn't that huge a deal where I live, since my hose water doesn't play havoc with my pool chemistry.

kevincad
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
thanks, I'll look into it. I've got a Polaris, which does fine unless the stuff is like dust. And what I've done for my round pool, is I have the return eyeball pointed so I get a distinct circular flow around my pool, and all the stuff that goes to the bottom ends up right in the middle, maybe a two foot diameter circle. I think the PoolBuster would be excellent for a quick clean up like that!

tphaggerty
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
To jfalken, I think you can definitely use the Pool Buster as your primary cleaner. We only used our vacuum once this year - to open. Since then it has been the PB. I got the PB Max CG, specificially because I intended to use it as the primary pool cleaner. It is harder to find and more expensive, but it is supposedly 30% more powerful and it recharges in only 2 hours. We have a 20x40 IG. (The CG also comes with a finer slit bag that works quite well).

That said, I did just buy a Pool Rover Plus as well, mainly because we stay open late into the fall (solar heating is great!!) and the leaf load in the pool can get huge! The PB does pick up leaves, but the mesh bag is about the size of a 16oz cup of coffee, so you can only go so long without cleaning it out.

DCR
05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
You do need to clean out the filter bag more often than WaterTech says, but we use a small bucket and it is no problem.

How often do you have to clean out the filter bag, and how big is your pool?

I do not have a vacuum right now, and was thinking about buying one of these instead of an aqua bug. What does every one think?

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
You can even use the original PB as your main vac. It's easier and faster to use than a hose vac, too. Spend the $25 on the finer filter bag, it's well worth it.

You should clean the bag after every use. First dump out the junk you can, then just take a bucket of water and rinse it. Repeat once on the rinse in a fresh bucket and you're done!

tphaggerty
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
As CarlD said on cleaning. Our pool is a 20x40 IG and I normally have to empty clean the fine mesh bag twice when cleaning. But, we are still building around the pool so we have TONs of millipedes and lots of dirt still getting in plus lots of pollen and such.

But it takes, at most, 2 minutes to remove/clean/reinstall the bag and go.

I didn't realize the fine bag was $25. At that price, I think the extra 50 I spent on the CG model was worth it (it can with the fine mesh bag and the regular bag, plus charges in 2 hours instead of 8 and is supposed to have 30% more power, but who knows on that part).

CarlD
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I picked up 30-50% more power just by replacing the battery/motor pack. At $79., I wish I had sent it back under warranty.:mad: If only I knew then what I know now...:cool:

Still, that and $25 for the filter was STILL cheaper than replacing it with a new one, and now it's like new again--better, actually, because I don't think the orig pack EVER ran like this one.

brent.roberts
05-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Carl
I've just ordered the Dolphin with the remote control. I think yours does not have this, but maybe you can give an opinion anyway.

Do you think the Dophin with the remote would be good for picking up bits of leaf etc as effectively as the PoolBuster on a pole ??

CarlD
05-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Carl
I've just ordered the Dolphin with the remote control. I think yours does not have this, but maybe you can give an opinion anyway.

Do you think the Dophin with the remote would be good for picking up bits of leaf etc as effectively as the PoolBuster on a pole ??

I have the remote. It's not the equivalent of the PoolBuster on a pool.

poolbuoy
05-14-2006, 08:30 AM
If I order a pool buster now will it have the upgrade kit?

CarlD
05-14-2006, 11:16 AM
If I order a pool buster now will it have the upgrade kit?

Not sure I understand the question. You can hunt up their website and give them a call. I found them VERY helpful.

poolbuoy
05-15-2006, 10:38 AM
They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

I don't know about the newer PoolBuster models, but I am still very, very pleased with mine. It's like a new unit again.[/QUOTE]

This is what I meant by the upgrade kit....

CarlD
05-15-2006, 10:42 AM
They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

This is what I meant by the upgrade kit....

It's not an upgrade--it's a replacement motor/battery pack. It runs the way they were supposed to run from the beginning. I think I had one that ran, but was hindered with a less-than-100% battery. You should simply get a 100% motor/battery in your new machine. As far as I can tell, the only change they made was a slight improvement in the on/off switch to reduce the chance of leaking. I don't know if they've upgraded the internal battery--you cannot see it.

poolbuoy
05-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I just got one from Poolplaza.com for $185 plus free shipping. plus they take paypal!

CUTURHAIR
05-16-2006, 09:07 AM
For those of you who use the PoolBuster as an only vacuum, can you tell me what model you would suggest for my 11,200 gallon vinyl inground pool, which gets very few leaves, and mostly bugs, dirt/dust, etc. Not a lot of debris that is large, but more smaller stuff usually. I don't want to waste the money on a larger unit than I need, but want to spend my money wisely, nonetheless. This thing looks pretty cool, and a good price!

Thanks!
John

tphaggerty
05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
There are only 2 current models: Pool Buster Max and Pool Buster Max CG. The CG model (stands for Commercial Grade) has 30% more suction and recharges in 2 hours and comes with the fine filter. The regular Max normally recharges in 8 hours.

The CG is about $50 more on the web, with the fine filter costing $25, it might be worth it.

There is a tip on the PB web site about using the wheels (instead of the brushes) for better suction. I have used only the wheels so far (on a vinyl IG), so I can't comment on the difference. The limiting factor for us has been the (relatively) small size of the pickup bag. We have had no problem with the power or charge length.

So, I think either would work fine. The regular Max is much easier to find, I only found 3 or 4 sites that sell the CG model.

Theusla
05-25-2006, 05:33 PM
My pool buster arrived in the mail yesterday. Yippeeeee! I will give it a try this weekend.

quenterry0
06-04-2006, 12:49 AM
What did you think of your new pool buster? I've had the aqua bug for a few days and I am not satisfied with it, I'm thinking of returning it and getting the pool buster...let me know what you think. I have an Intex Easy Set with that little pump it came with but we have it hooked up to a sand filter instead so its alittle better than the original filter setup. It seems like the pool buster might have better sucking power than the little pump we have now.

Thanks

Theusla
06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I have used it a couple of times and it works pretty well. I am going to order the fine sediment filter for it. I have some fine sand that gets through the regular filter.

On Saturday and Sunday morning I use it to pick the small amount of trash on the bottom that the pool sweep did not get. Nice clean pool to swim in. It only take a few minutes. A million times better than dragging out the vacuum hose.

cajunfla
06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
FedEX delivered my PoolBuster MaxCG Saturday night about 7pm. Charged it up, and used it Sunday morning. WORKS GREAT !! Picked up all the grass clippings that blew in the pool while cutting.
Only one minute problem that is probably my fault. I turned the vacuum off while the unit was over the water. some of the grass clippings came out and fell back in the pool. Lesson learned, place over decking before shutting off the unit.
Jeff

CarlD
06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Only one minute problem that is probably my fault. I turned the vacuum off while the unit was over the water. some of the grass clippings came out and fell back in the pool. Lesson learned, place over decking before shutting off the unit.
Jeff

Um, check your directions--you don't run it out of the water. The way to do it (and I've been doing it for a couple of years now) is UNDERWATER turn the PB so the nozzle is up and the handgrip is down and THEN turn it off. Lift it out of the water that way and it will drain thru the bag and the back and not out the front. If it's attached to a pole you have to removed from the pole, underwater, and then tip the nozzle up. Be careful not to let that end of the pole hit the bottom of the pool, especially if you have a vinyl liner--it could cut it.

Theusla
06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
CarlD is right turn it upside down andpull it out. The manual does say though that it is OK to turn it on and then stick it in the water and pull it out and turn it off.

It is not to be used for any extended time out of the water. Don't use it as a Dustbuster.;)

cajunfla
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah I know. It was out of the water for a whole 4 seconds before I turned it off. Not worth discussing / argueing about. Kinda difficult to keep the entire machine in the water while it is upside down and turn it off. My arms are just not that long without laying down on the deck. LOL

Pam and Jim
06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I have had a pool buster for 3 years-
I must have an old version

I was disappointed a few years ago when I could not get the fine silt bag-
Last year I started taking a skimmer sock and putting it outside the other filter. Since I have mostly dirt it works great- does'nt do well with leaves- unless I remove the sock because it drags down the power-
I decided to stay with this for now and not opt to pay the extra for the bag.

Pam

Theusla
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the idea Pam. I will give that a try.

CarlD
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I have had a pool buster for 3 years-
I must have an old version

I was disappointed a few years ago when I could not get the fine silt bag-
Last year I started taking a skimmer sock and putting it outside the other filter. Since I have mostly dirt it works great- does'nt do well with leaves- unless I remove the sock because it drags down the power-
I decided to stay with this for now and not opt to pay the extra for the bag.

Pam

Try throwing several cotton balls in the bag. They catch the really small stuff.

Spensar
08-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Dang, never heard of this thing until I stumbled onto this thread. Man would that exactly do the trick for me. In my hopper shaped rectangular 16'x32' pool the Kreepy coverage is very so-so and I have to vacum, often to waste, to get the really fine stuff out. We are in a very mature suburban area, with lots of trees, birds, etc. and get a lot of pollen and fine sediment.

I hate dealing with the hoses as well - storage, hooking it from the skimmer, etc. The PB looks like I could "share" cleanup a lot easier with the kids too!

Looks like I'll have to get one of the CGs for Santa to wrap up and leave under the tree this year.

This thread is from last June, so is everyone still satisfied this summer with their Poolbuster? How is it for leaf pickup? In the spring we have a lot after opening.

Edit. Another question. Is it heavy enough stay at the bottom of the deep end without pushing on the pole to keep it in contact, or does the suction achieve that?

salinda
08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
The PoolBuster does well on leaves, but you have to empty the bag quite often if you have a lot of fine silt or sediment as I do. As soon as it doesn't get the leaves, you try emptying the bag. The bag might not be full to lose suction, but a lot of fine sediment is visible in mine. I use the fine silt bag.

You have to push on the pole a little bit at the deep end, but it is not too bad.

Incidentally, I did have a problem with mine and the warranty service was excellent. I couldn't find the original invoice, but they accepted a printout from Paypal showing when I paid for the PoolBuster. Unfortunately, my Polaris crapped out at exactly the same time at the height of the season, so I went and bought a manual vac and hose anyway....

gerri
08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I love my Pool Buster! I just got the silt bag this year. I had a problem with mine last season on startup, the PB just wouldn't turn on, although fully charged. The warranty service was great, no problems at all. I would recommend this cleaner to anyone - it allowed me to vac my pool by myself when i was 8 months pregnant! :D

Spensar
08-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Do you guys have the Poolbuster, Poolbuster Max or the CG model? From what I read the Max is the latest version of the retail model.

From the posts it looked like the CG model had the fine filter bag, but when I checked sources on line it doesn't look like it. All I see for both is the all-purpose bag with the option to buy the fine one.

CarlD
08-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I have the original, and bought the fine bag--haven't used the original since. They oughta just bite the bullet and make the fine bag standard!

My P/B is in its 3rd season, and, despite the problem I had I still wouldn't be without it!

Now where is that vacuum and hose again????:confused:

BlueBlobTX
08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I have a version of the Max that is supposed to be somewhat modified for the donut pool. I honestly don't know what modifications, if any, were done. I asked before I bought and just got some general answers about the accessories and slight mods to the inner workings. Anyway, that aside, I LOVE this thing! No hoses, no water loss, no stress on the pump, and no adding water using a venturi (garden hose) vac... it charges in an hour or less and goes for at least an hour. The package I bought (from pooldrstore.com) came with the regular filter bag, the fine filter bag and 5 socks that fit in either bag. I used the socks initially to pick up algae residue and dirt/dust that I couldn't get out any other way. It sucked it all right up. I literally dumped out heavy clogs of this stuff from the bags. The suction was very good, despite the two-bags, which I'm sure made it less effective. I don't have a leaf problem yet, so haven't used the regular filter bag... I'm sure that would even increase the power more. And, the other good thing is that you can really get around with it and into tight spaces. You can take the head off and just use the small tube. That will fit in just about any crevice.

My experiences have been very positive. I'm not pushing any retailer over another, but the pooldr site I mentioned offers a 14 day trial period. If they stand by that, I think its definitely worth trying and seeing if you like it. If not, send it back.

Lori

SUNNYDAYS
08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I have been using the commercial grade PB for 2 months and have been very happy with the results. I do not find the need to push down on the unit once I put it to the bottom of the pool. I haven't seen the socks mentioned in this thread, but it is my understanding that the CG comes with the fine sediment bag. Once in a hile if I see some sediment getting through I use some cotton balls as recommended by someone on this site (Carld).

You can't go wrong with this unit.

bbb
05-11-2007, 04:05 PM
BJ's has a "PoolBlaster Catfish" model in stock for $99. It appears to be manufactured by Water Tech, manufacturer of the PoolBuster. this a cheap imitation of the Pool Buster or merely a rebranding of the original Pool Buster? It uses non-user-replacable Nickel Metal Hydride rechargable batteries.

here's a link to an online store that has it at the same price (http://shop.bluehaven.com/product/1163/29).

CelticDaddio
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Will the PoolBuster with the fine filter bag suck up dead algae?

Ed

You can even use the original PB as your main vac. It's easier and faster to use than a hose vac, too. Spend the $25 on the finer filter bag, it's well worth it.

You should clean the bag after every use. First dump out the junk you can, then just take a bucket of water and rinse it. Repeat once on the rinse in a fresh bucket and you're done!

CarlD
05-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't know. I don't have any dead algae, and haven't had much in years.

poolbee
05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
bbb-on the Blue Haven site it says the Catfish is for above ground pools and the Buster is for inground pools. Don't know what the difference is between them or why the Catfish couldn't be used on an inground pool.

tphaggerty
05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Will the PoolBuster with the fine filter bag suck up dead algae?

Ed

Don't know if it will handle algae, probably. It handles the VERY fine silt I get in the pool through my mesh winter cover. What *WILL* get algae - before it hits the filter - is the filter socks. They are also great at trapping pollen before it hits the filter. I have them on now and the amount of stuff they trap is phenomenol.

mariner09
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm currently contemplating purchasing either a PoolBuster MAX or PoolBuster CG. If you go to WaterTech's site, they now offer a PoolBuster CG Gold. This model sells for $349 and includes a "Fine Sand & Silt" bag, a pack of 5 Micro-filter bags and an extra 1hr charging unit.

Anyone out there think that's a good deal?