PDA

View Full Version : Broken Pressure Gauge

fog80
06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I've got a Hayward EC-65 DE filter that has a broken pressure gauge. I bought a new gauge from the pool store but its got a 1/4" threaded copper connector and it looks like the old owner somehow rigged the current pressure gauge so its not standard.

The front of the filter has a pvc elbow attached to it so that the current gauge is somehow screwed into the top of a piece of pvc attached to the elbow. I tried unscrewing the gauge but I think it might be glued and I will have to cut the pvc and attach the new gauge.

Do they make a 1.5" pvc "nipple" that will allow a pressure gauge to be screwed in? I'm not really sure what im supposed to do here.

waste
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey Fog, been a while - is all else good with you?

Your EC 65 should have a 'tap' in it to accept the pressure gauge. If it's been abandoned and covered over, there are tees with adapters available to accept the gauge - or you can just do as the previous owners did and drill a hole into one of the pipes, tap it to accept the threads and be good.

More info available if you need it:)

Poconos
06-15-2010, 09:36 PM
If you need brass adapters to go from almost anything to anything check Home Depot or Lowes. Makes it easy to adapt to various threads and sizes.
Al

fog80
05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I let it go last year after I couldnt find a 1/4" to 1.5" adapter but this year i may need to move forward and find a solution to this.

So waste, you are recommending cutting the old pipe off if I cant "unscrew" the gauge and putting a new pipe in place that I can "tap" into.

I'm a little worried about tapping into a pipe with such a high pressure area and I dont want the gauge blowing off one day. Any more tips on how to get this done?

The old owner glued a 1.5" pvc elbow into the old EC65 gauge "hole" and extended the pvc to run sort of parallel to the filter. I was thinking of cutting the pvc right below the existing gauge and installing a new gauge at this location. Any additional tips are much appreciated.

madwil
05-24-2011, 07:10 AM
you don't need to worry about high pressure- your pressure shouldn't be over 20-30 psi, and those gauges are designed for pressures up to 125 or better...
Old steam pipes were put together with threads, and had 50 psi at 250-300 degrees!
if the previous owner glued the pvc elbow over the existing port, I would make sure to leave enough when you cut it to attach another piece- but cutting and fitting in the adapter is a good plan

fog80
05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Ok so if i cut and attach a fresh piece of pvc to this "arm". How do I get the 1/4" threaded opening for the gauge? Ive been to lowes and home depot and I cant see anything that takes a 1.5" pvc and converts it to a 1/4" threaded opening.

madwil
05-25-2011, 04:22 PM
you may have to step down a couple times- adapt from 1.5 to 1 to 1/2 to 1/4...