PDA

View Full Version : 10% chlorine vs 5.25% / 6% bleach

OddJob
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Is this a silly question? I understand that bleach/chlorine is the source of sodium hypochlorite. But wouldn't 10% be better than the 5.25 or 6% that is available with bleach?

I tried searching to no avail.

Thanks for the info and happy swimming :)

Poconos
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, it would be be better if you can find it. Carl can kick in here because he buys it in 5 gallon containers I think. 10-15% or so. When the container is empty you take it back and refill or exchange. For most people bleach is just plain convenient.
Al

AnnaK
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I buy it at a local pool store. It's advertised as "12.5%" liquid chlorine and that concentration is true right at the point of manufacturing. HOwever, once it's been filled into the 5 gallon carboys, has been transported, has been stored in the store's yard, it degrades.

My tests of 12.5% LC have shown it to be between 10-10.2%.

Still a fine concentration and very convenient since the 5 gallon containers get traded in. I pay about $3 per gallon and I don't have to deal with a ton of empty Clorox bottles each week.

Unfortunately, this is not available everywhere. Some municipalities apparently have rules against high concentration chlorine and won't allow it to be sold or stored. My local Leslie's does not carry it, neither do the big box hardware stores here.

If you can find it, it's economical and convenient. I refill, using a syphon, from the 5 gal container into a large bleach jug, keeping the carboy in the garage where it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

OddJob
06-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I thought I replied but I don't see it, so I'm trying again.

Making sure I understand:

We are buying the 5.25% just because it is cheaper (if we can't find 10-15% in bulk).

But, don't we have to use twice as much of the 5.25?

CarlD
06-10-2010, 02:32 PM
You are making it harder to understand that it is!

It's all the same stuff, just different "proof" as it were.

6% ultra bleach will add half as much chlorine, gallon for gallon as 12% chlorine.

My rule of thumb is if the gallon of12.5% costs MORE than 2 gallons of 6% it's not a good price. If it's less then it's cheaper.

Where you get the carboys mattters. I go to one store that turns it over rapidly--today they had 13 palattes. Whenever I test it, it's usually 14%--stronger than it's sold as.

You'll want to invest in a spigot for the carboys--$4 or $5 but it makes life easy and SAFE! I fill up a gallon jug halfway to add chlorine--to my 20K pool it adds just over 3ppm. If I need to shock, I fill the gallon jug at least twice which adds (drum roll) 12.5 ppm! (unless it's testing a t 14% then it adds 14ppm),

The carboys may be blue but they are "greener" You pay a deposit once and then exchange them. The deposit was like $6 but I just exchange them when I buy new ones and have had 3 for years. They get reused. Plus there's less trash. I have 3 carboys--that like have 30 gallon jugs of 6% bleach!

OddJob
06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Thank you. I was finding better deals (summer special maybe) at the pool store for the 10% than the gallon of 5.25%.

I'll have to find out where to buy the bleach in bulk. I'm not sure they allow that in California :lol /sarcasm

Off to find a good deal ...

peekaboo
06-13-2010, 10:13 AM
The cheapest place I know in New England to buy LC is 2.99 gallon everyday @ Ocean State Job Lots for 12%.

aylad
06-13-2010, 03:53 PM
In Louisiana you can't get it at all

Janet