PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check on results

mcPool
05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I built a 20*40 IG Vinyl this past fall/winter. Filled, and let water sit till Feb.

Kit I purchased came with small pentair odo/pH drop test.

In Feb, raised pH from <6.8 to 7.2. Did not have TA test, so it did not stay very stable. Started to throw in trichlor pucks (skimmer and feeder) to bring up CL. Remember, new pool, so I wanted CYA to increase.

Late Feb/early March, bought Taylor 1741 test kit. Big kit. Have been bringing up numbers to reasonable levels (history of numbers too boring to post). Have not been diligent in keeping CL up, and it is difficult as CYA had to build. But, I may now actually be there.

A day ago, had what looked like White Tissue Mold, so I added another jug of bleach. It appears to be almost gone now, 24 hours later.

Here are todays numbers:
FC 4.5
TC 4.5
PH 7.6 (from small pentair, not 1741)
TA 105
CH 120 (I had to bring this number up, it was 10 when I built the pool)
CYA 35

Questions:
1) Can my CYA really be 35 already? I have used about 25-30 3" pucks.
2) I am using the small pentair for pH because the 1741 color just does not match any of the slide comparators. Never has. It looks washed out. Could the phenol red be bad? Or is there some other culprit I should check? Note, the pentair and some test strips I have both agree with the 7.6.

Ps, yes we are swimming. It was high 80's here last week, water temp of 72 actually felt good.