PDA

View Full Version : aluminum walls vs galvanized/copper wall

tbelle
05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm soooo confused. Three different pool stores in my area are all telling me different things. One says to go with the aluminum walls. It will take 40 yrs to oxidize. One says to go with galvanized steel/stainless steel service panel/rim. Another dealer who sells Esther Williams says to buy the cheapest aluminum I can find in the size I want because either way, it'll rust in a few years :eek: . I've just about given up on this idea. Can everyone pleaaassse advise me on your opinions???

My hubby would certainly prefer to go the cheaper route

Thanks for your help!

NWMNMom
05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
The first step would be to find a reputable dealer that has been in business for some time and stands behind their products. You should run, not walk away from one that tells you to buy a cheapie because all of them will rot soon. Check with the Better Business Bureau in the areas you will be shopping. If online, go to the BBB Online AND find out if the company has a brick and mortar real world business as well. Talk to others with pools to find out about theirs and satisfaction levels with brands and dealers.

You get what you pay for - do not go with the cheapest you can find, you will be sorry. If you do your research, you will see that there are many with warranties that give you a pretty good idea what the mfg expects for the life expectancy with normal wear and tear - they don't want to pay or reimburse you - so if the product is crap, then it probably won't be well warranted. Areas that rust first will probably be those that are in contact with moisture most, your bottom rail and base plates, service panel/skimmer/returns, top rails and/or uprights/caps. Look for materials in those parts that are guaranteed or give good detail about corrossion prevention or corrossion free (aluminum, special coatings, resin, stainless steel) Anything less than probably a 30 yr warranty should be avoided like the plague - try for a 40 yr or more, even lifetime if possible (more spendy) or go for a big Splash Pool brand, they are really tough soft sided that can remain up year round in all climates (not very attractive though) As the guys here will tell you, good planning, VERY good ground prep and proper chemical maintc go a long way towards extending the life of your pool.

If you only want the pool for a few years, then its an awful lot of work for just a few years enjoyment, even for a cheapie.

matt4x4
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Warranties usually tell you a lot, the pool with the 30 year bumper to bumper waranty is likely built much better than the 15 yr warranty "on major or selected components".
I really don't think the SS skimmer/return panel is necessary - many manufacturers now make their pools with them, it really just tells me something else about their remaining wall structure.
Go with a reputable manufacturer over which reseller you will pick - resellers just get the item to your door, manufacturers have to stand behind it.

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi, The stores in Arizona sell only steel wall pools. Such as the well coated one by Doughboy. The aluminum ones I have seen in the past last just a few years. I don't know if that's an Arizona thing or if that happens everywhere. That's where the local dealers should be of help. I do know of many Doughboy brand pools that I service in my area that are well over 20 years old.

Good luck, Dennis

tbelle
05-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I have been researching for weeks. The two main dealers in the area do provide stainless steel service panels, steel bottom rail and the walls I believe are the galvanized (steel) not true steel as it's a copper alloy (???). Is that what you mean by steel walls??? The other dealer is actually in Hornlake, Ms (Splash Pools). He is the one that told me to buy an aluminum one. He referred me to someone who sells Esther Williams aluminum pools. Is the aluminum one stronger??? I do understand about the warranty; I guess maybe I'm asking if you prefer the aluminum( supposed to be stronger) or the galvanized walls? Wouldn't the steel bottom rim rust and the aluminum would oxidize?

Thanks,
Teena

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Doughboy uses a hot dipped galvanizing process plus many other coatings. I have found the steel walls to be much stronger than aluminum. And yes, the aluminum will oxidize much faster than the steel will rust.

Just from what I have seen, Dennis

drumr
05-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I tend to agree with Dennis. There is another aluminum vs steel thread that I posted on earlier today. I have been in the aluminum extrusion business for 20 years and know a little about it ;) . The steel wall pools are "1 piece" , where the aluminum are several individual self mating pieces. If something happened to that die while the extrusion was being run like, if it broke where the extrusions snap fits together and it wasn't caught before being painted it could very well weaken the whole structure significantly and all it would take is one bad extrusion to make a huge mess out of your yard. Even though this senario is very unlikely I have seen many scary things with extrusions before. Our main business is architectual shapes, curtainwall and store front shapes, which is the same alloy that pool walls are....6063. We have looked at the pool wall business but decided not to pursue it. It's not really "gravy" material even though we could do it. I have a 24' AG steel pool and it is 5 years old now. I replaced the liner for this season and the walls are in perfect shape.

I have been running my pool following the instructions of this website and for the last 4 years I have had perfect water throughout each swimming season, while my neighbors running baquastuff have fought algae each year. They must have deeper pockets than me. My pool has been a joy to maintain following the simple rules and advice of the wonderful people who has figured it out..Thanks to Ben and all the other who have contributed. I wouldn't have nearly as beautiful water as I do if it wasn't for poolsolutions!!

JoshU
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
The steel wall pools are "1 piece" , where the aluminum are several individual self mating pieces.

Most aluminum walls are also 1 piece rolled walls, the most expensive aluminum pools are extruded slot walls.

Josh

gwrace1
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
After doing a lot of research that included internet and AG pool books the bottom line came down to a hybrid pool. In terms of cost, durability and warranty the overwhelming advice was a steel/resin hybrid pool.

We ended up with an Artesian Echo Canyon that came with a lifetime non-prorated warranty. The bottom boots, bottom rail and top seat clamps are all resin. The rest of the pool is steel. Anything that could be exposed to corruption from the soil is resin. All I can say is it's a very sturdy, quality pool.

What you will find is that each type of material has it's pros and cons.

Aluminum does not rust but is more flexible and prone to corrosion over time. It also costs more than a steel pool.

Resin appeared to be an untested product without many years of real world pool trials. I've seen what the hot Texas sun can do to car interiors and other types of resin (plastic) over time.

For me the steel/resin seemed to make the most sense for the sake of durability and cost.

drumr
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Josh,
Thank you for correcting me that only the higher end aluminum pools are extruded and not one piece as the steel ones are, I did not know that. When I looked at the pool at the pool store I told the salesman more about the extrusion than he could tell me.
When I bought my pool I did not even know they made ones out of aluminum, the store I bought mine from sells only the steel walls with stainless steel service panel which is what I have. I like the way the Johnny W pools look better than the way the steel walls look, but that pool was a couple of thousand dollars more than mine and I just couldn't afford it.