PDA

View Full Version : Need Filter/Pump advice

Ken S
06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi all,
I have a 28' 52" round AG pool. My filter/pump are now in its 7th yr. I have a Jacuzzi brand filter with cartridge. I tried to open my pool this weekend but the pump just gave out a buzzing noise. Since I am not exactly handy, I sprayed some WD-40 and wacked it a few times with a wrench and it started working, although its noticeably louder. I brought the water up to its height and now the water pours out of the filter where the top of the filter screws onto the base. Obviously its not sealing properly, however in the past, I just placed the filter top on the base and scewed on the O-ring. I never did anything special to seal the filter top to the base so I'm not sure why this is happening now.

Is the filter/pump life span of 6/7 yrs the norm or should I look to get the pump/filter repaired? Any suggestions on sealing the filter top onto the base or if replacement is needed any suggestions on a longer lasting filter/pump system.

Thanks in advance.

Watermom
06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Ken, and welcome back! I've alerted Al to take a look at your thread. Might be this evening til he gets to it, but he knows about it. (He is doing manual labor at the moment and says that if he doesn't die from it, he'll be along to help you!)

Poconos
06-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Ken,
You should be able to get more than 7 years out of the system especilly the filter. I really am not familiar at all with that cartridge filter but obviously something isn't sealing right. In general that means bad seals. On the pump motor, that noise could be either the water pressure seal or the bearings. If the pump is out in the weather then possibly moisture has gotten in and rusted thtings up and in that case you'll probably destroy things trying to pull the bearings off, especially the pump end. If it's the pressure seal that should be pretty easy to replace. Repair or replace? If the pump looks clean, no rust, then a repair should be considered. The buzzing is probably the centrifugal starter switch and the thread below gives some insight. Hope you can view the pic. Or, maybe the thing was just frozen up too much and you freed it.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4800

Al

Ken S
06-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Question--you make reference to keeping the filter pump outside-- doesnt it have to be outside? I do bring it inside over the winter.
The filter/pump is about 3 feet from the pool and is uncovered and obviously gets doused when water comes over the top. Can this be a contributing factor to its premature demise?

Sorry for all the questions, however if I replace I would like to revisit my chlorinating process. Right now I chlorinate with mini-tabs in a hayward chlorinator. The mini tabs are very costly and I basically have to refill the chlorinator every 2.5 days. I generally kept my filter going about 16 - 20 hrs a day. There has to be a more efficient/cheaper way of chlorinating.

Thanks again

Watermom
06-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Some people, such as Al, have their pump and filter in a pool house. Many people, me included, have mine outside and exposed to the elements. (I do take my pump inside the shed during the winter and drain and cover the filter.) I'm pretty sure that being exposed to the element does contribute to shorter life of the equipment, but Al can tell you for sure.

One question unrelated to your pump and filter. You say that you chlorinate with tabs in a chlorinator. I assume these are trichlor tabs which are stabilized. Do you monitor your cya level throughout the summer and stop using the tabs if the cya level gets too high?

Poconos
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I saw something on this forum a long time ago that was a pump cover open at both ends for ventilation. Keeps the rain and snow off. With the pump running the cooling fan will suck in mist from rain and splash. It will cut the life somewhat. Bearings are sealed so it won't get into the bearing itself but will promote rust making servicing that much more difficult. As Lisa said my stuff is in a poolhouse and after almost 13 years everything looks like new. I'm really pushing the memory but I think someone found it at Leslies pool place.
Al

Ken S
06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Some people, such as Al, have their pump and filter in a pool house. Many people, me included, have mine outside and exposed to the elements. (I do take my pump inside the shed during the winter and drain and cover the filter.) I'm pretty sure that being exposed to the element does contribute to shorter life of the equipment, but Al can tell you for sure.

One question unrelated to your pump and filter. You say that you chlorinate with tabs in a chlorinator. I assume these are trichlor tabs which are stabilized. Do you monitor your cya level throughout the summer and stop using the tabs if the cya level gets too high?

I dont know what CYA is so I guess I'm not monitoring it. I never stop using the tabs as I start getting algae if I miss a day or two. Ive always used the mini-tabs which are about an inch in diameter--not sure if they are trichlor.

Watermom
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Your tabs are almost certainly trichlor and they have cya (stabilizer) in them. All pools need some cya in them to keep the chlorine from being lost to the sun too quickly. However, when your cya level gets too high, you have to continue to run higher and higher chlorine levels to keep algae at bay. A lot of people don't know this and they use those pucks for a very long time, unknowingly allowing their cya level to get way too high.

It would probably be helpful for you to read a lot of the "stickies" at the top of most of the "Pool Water: Treatment, Testing and Problems" section of the forum. A lot of the pool care chemistry basics are explained there. You might want to start a thread in one of those sections and post a current set of water testing results for someone here to look at and maybe head of a potential problem that you may not be aware may be brewing.