PDA

View Full Version : Outward bulging of steel sidewall

ShelleyAnn
05-01-2006, 02:37 PM
We are up to the skimmer and return openings with water in filling our new 15x30 AGP and someone noticed what appears to be a bulge at the bottom of one of the spans of steel. It is between a side buttress and the first upright making the turn to the round end about 6 inches up from the track and spaning about 6 inches. We are level with ground, top rail and the same depth in water all the way around to within 1/16". No one noticed any damage to the wall when we installed it. We have noooooo idea what to do. Does anyone out there?

Shelley

matt4x4
05-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Shelly - measure from the top of the wall (not top of rail) with Rail removed to top of water right at teh bulge, then measure the same about 10 feet to either side, likely you do have a 1/4 " more in that place than on bothof the 10' outside measurements - a bulge is created where the earth wasn't quite flat and is pushing the wall up in that spot - the weight of the water makes it noticeable.
Probably not a big deal, but a pic would really help.

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi, It sounds to me like the track could be just a little high coming off the brace. When I see that happening I take a spade and carefuly remove a little dirt from under the rail and then tap the rail down. This relieves the pressure from the top of the wall and gets rid of the bulge. It could however be something totally different and a picture would be a big help.

Best of luck, Dennis

ShelleyAnn
05-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Phew. You guys are making me think I don't have to dump 14,800 gallons of water and call in the calvary. It is a very unsettling feeling to see this.

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Not to much to worry about there. It's deffinately in the track. Either pushed in a bit or it is higher in the middle than at the posts. I would try to lower it just a little and the buckle should come out. You can use a screw driver or a spade and carefully remove a little dirt at a time and tap the rail down.

Let us know if that helps, Dennis

ShelleyAnn
05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
You all are absolutely FANTASTIC! We took a pocket knife and started to slip dirt out from underneath the track and ping, ping, ponk, the bulge released itself as we went along...and it looks mahvelous!

Love you all!!!

Shelley

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Very glad to here. Hope you get tons of enjoyment out of it this summer.

Dennis