PDA

View Full Version : Question about grout between brick coping

putter
03-25-2006, 06:20 PM
I am staying at my best friends home in Florida for 3 months. They had to go to Germany on business and the gunite pool wasn't quite completed so I am monitoring the progress. The top edge of the pool has rounded brick coping, the patio area is all pavers which are set in sand. I have had pools (fiberglass) back home in Kentucky for years so I understand pools, thanks to your website. My question is about the grout between the brick coping. The tile along the top side and the brick coping were completed last week before the gunite was sprayed. There are tiny little hairline cracks in the grout between the coping bricks. I would expect a little separation between the brick and grout due to expansion, but these little cracks run in all directions in the grout. I just want to make sure this is done right before I give them the final payment. I hope I explained this in detail enough, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

duraleigh
03-25-2006, 10:46 PM
If they resemble "hairline" cracks or maybe just a little bit bigger, they are probably the result of too much moisture in the grout when it was mixed. It causes the grout to "shrink" as it cures and cracks appear.

Short of having the old grout cleaned out and replaced with new, (big job) I don't believe it can be fixed.

Structurally, I don't think it hurts much. Visually, they will probably fill with dirt, etc. as time goes on and become less bothersome.

To protect the owner, you may want to consider witholding some percentage of payment 'til he can get back and approve/disapprove.

Dave S.

mshumack
03-26-2006, 07:16 AM
You may want to seal the grout to prevent water from getting in - especially with the small cracks - and dirt from staining. I asked about sealers for my own (new pool) brick coping and was recommended to do so.
Mike

putter
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I appreciate so much both of your replies, it gives me a little piece of mind in this project. Another question I have is that the man came to acid wash the tile and brick coping yesterday, now that it has dried, the taupe colored brick coping
looks discolored and spotty, almost like bleach was poured on it. Is this normal? I think the idea of a sealant sounds good but I don't want to seal spots in the brick. Do either of you have a brand of sealant in mind? And once again, you have no idea how much your input means to me, God Bless you. Lee Ann

duraleigh
03-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi, Lee Ann,

It's impossible to say what that is without a pretty good photo. Before and after would be even better but I doubt you'll have that.

You would do well to post this question (and a good photo) on "john Bridge Tile Forum" IMHO it is the best tile/masonry help forum on the net....lot's of smart folks there.

I agree with you....don't seal it 'til you get a handle on what it is and if the owner can live with it or not.

Dave S.

putter
03-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Dave,
I took digital pictures yesterday of everything and they came out pretty good! I am getting ready to email the John Bridge Tile Forum and see how that works. The pool men should be here today so I will work quickly. I emailed your responses to my friends in Germany and they are WOWED by this website and how nice you have been. Again, thank you and I will let you know what happens. Sincerely, Lee Ann

duraleigh
03-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi, Lee Ann,

Good work! Your friend is indebted to you. I think you'll get good response from that John Bridge forum. They've given me great advice over the years.

Dave S.