PDA

View Full Version : skimmer problems

stalh
06-03-2010, 11:37 PM
i have a pool that is about 38 yrs old. it has a jacuzzi skimmer and is cracked and showing the yrs. i am fixing the piping due to a leak under the deck and since the skimmer is cracked . i am thinking about replacing the skimmer due to age and jacuzzi is no longer making parts for this skimmer its a wfl (wide mouth) i believe.my thought is change the skimmer to something newer like a hayward or pentair. has anybody done this conversion? i know these have a bigger skimmer opening but what about deck height as the old jacuzzi had a grout ring for a height adjustment and i am not sure about the hayward or pentair. the local pool tech has said to just leave the jacuzzi in and JB weld it and its good to go but since the deck is already busted up i think i should change the old one out and put the new one in. any suggestions ...thanks

CarlD
06-04-2010, 12:56 AM
If the only problem is a fixable crack, you may be spending money you don't need to spend. Who sees inside a skimmer anyway?

stalh
06-04-2010, 01:51 AM
just spending money on a new concrete deck and would like to do it once not have to bust it up again. also i still need to find the leak not sure just yet if it is in the fittings of the skimmer.. but if its already cracked why not? for roughly 150 bucks and a few fittings and glue i would rather spend it now then after the deck is refinished plus the parts are getting harder to find..baskets here in canada are roughly 50 bucks...

CarlD
06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Ah, you didn't make that clear.

Remember: All advice here is simply suggestions. It's your pool and all the decisions are yours, as is ultimate responsibility. If you want a new skimmer, put in a new skimmer.

imfignewton
06-17-2010, 11:44 PM
If your going to re-due the deck change out the skimmers at the same time.

Just make sure the middle of the new skimmer lines up with your optimum water level.

Hire a contractor that specializes in this kind of repair.

The new skimmers need to be tied to the pool shell with rebar (doweled in to shell and epoxied) and concrete pour around the skimmer to encase the rebar. Do not let any one set the skimmers next to the pool shell and pour concrete around it. This is a sure way to leaks in the future.

Hope this helps