PDA

View Full Version : Not crystal clear.. I want it crystal clear.

chuck9997
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
24ft above ground pool

I have pretty much always had a clean, clear pool (last 5 or 6 years). Have always used BBB method. Over winter it gets a bit yucky.. but 2 or 3 days of start up procedure.. and all is well. Not this year.

A couple of weeks ago I raised to shock level and held for a few days.. water turned from dark green to a nice clean looking blueish (normal looking) color. But the water never actually became "clear". I would describe it as clean... but slightly "milky".. I have been in the pool a few times and I am sure its clean.. but I want it to sparkle. I have scrubbed floors and wall.. been filtering water 24/7 for several days.. No change in "milky" appearance. I can see the bottom... but just barely. I can see my hand clearly about 2 feet down (or so).

today:
FC - 6
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
Alk - 90
CYA - 50ppm
temp - 81

testing with drops (T-100 kit)

I have some DE in the pool shed.. but haven't added any. Thinking maybe adding some would filter out tiny particles.. just me guessing.

Any opinions?

Watermom
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Sure -- try the DE. See what that does for you. You might also try some skimmer socks inside the skimmer to see if that will also grab some of the tiny stuff.

Glad to see you back around the forum this year. BTW --- I like your signature line. I'm with you -- buy both. You only live once!

chuck9997
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I will put in a little DE right now.

Oh.. and I did buy both. LOL

Watermom
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Go REALLY slow adding the DE to the skimmer. You only want a 1 psi increase in filter pressure. Sometimes it doesn't register immediately and then you add more and then it turns out to be too much. That is what happened to me the first time I added DE to my sand filter. If that happens, no big deal. Just backwash and try again. Hope it makes a difference in the water clarity for you.

aylad
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
If the DE doesn't do the trick, please post numbers for calcium--and did you by chance use cal-hypo to shock?

Janet

chuck9997
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I will re-post if the DE doesn't work.. No shock.. just high doses of bleach. Not sure what cal-hypo is. I have used a few of the chlorine pucks from time to time.. very sparingly.

Watermom
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Cal-hypo is a granular form of chlorine. Is it infamous for clouding water.

Also, don't forget --- try some skimmer socks. They might help catch the really fine stuff.

chuck9997
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
ok.. never used cal-hypo. It seems like th epool is getting a little clearer a few hours after adding the DE to the filter. I should know more tomorrow morning. Nobody locally has skimmer socks.. will anyhthing else work?

CarlD
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
This time of year in NJ the pollen is attrocious. My skimmer socks get a layer of what looks like yellow spackle paste everyday. Until the pollen falls off (and it's just starting to) I run my filter pump on High 24/7 and clear the sock every day. I'm now able to run it on low, but I haven't dared go to a timer schedule. I will, soon, but not quite yet.

If your FC is not holding then you need to shock the pool. If, however, it is holding, you may try adding PolyQuat which is both a preventative algaecide and a clarifier. You can add a few ounces or a full quart, but be forewarned: If you add a lot, like a quart, in 48 hours your FC will drop to 0 and you'll need to boost it again. It's not a problem so don't panic when it happens. You don't want to backwash during that time, either, or your PolyQuat will go down the sewer.

Good Luck!

Watermom
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe try cutting the foot out of a pair of old pantyhose and see if that will fit. It may be too porous, but maybe not. Won't hurt to try until you can find some skimmer socks somewhere.

CarlD
06-04-2010, 06:50 AM
"Skimmer Socks" is a brand name that everyone kind of uses to describe the things, like "Band-Aid" and "Kleenex" rather than adhesive bandage and tissue. They may have another brand called something else. If not, try the panty hose trick. It should work well enough to catch stuff that passes through the skimmer.

chuck9997
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I think the DE kinda worked.. approx 20 hrs after adding to the filter,.. there is some imporvement in the cloudiness. How long would it take to filter out the residue.. with DE in the filter?

By the way.. I checked the HARDNESS with the other readings this morning:

FC - 6
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
Alk - 90
CYA - 50
CAL: 50
temp - 83

chuck9997
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
may make a trip into Knoxville (pool store) today for skimmer socks. Also.. is PolyQuat an ingredient in a clarifier that I need to look for.. or is it a brand name too?

Watermom
06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Polyquat 60% is a non-foaming algaecide. At the pool store, check the ingredient label. If it says:

poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]

it is the right stuff. We don't recommend any other type of algaecide.

chuck9997
06-05-2010, 12:24 AM
bought socks and PolyQuat.. put a sock on the skimmer basket friday afternoon.. anxious to see if it makes any difference in the clarity of the water.. I'll check Saturday.

CarlD
06-05-2010, 08:11 AM
PolyQuat is sold as an algaecide but it also is a clarifier. If you put the whole quart in your pool, your Free Chlorine will drop to zero or near zero in 48 hours. This is normal. DO NOT PANIC! Just add chlorine till it's back to normal.

chuck9997
06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I really believe the water is slooooowwwllly clearing. I know its better than a couple of days ago. I checked the pool and the skimmer sock this morning at 7.. Looked a little better.. the sock had some residue. Its hard to see because the sock and the residue is white. I also added about 16 ounces of PQ-60 this morning.

After getting up this afternoon (I work nights this week).. Checked again.. seems, again.. a little clearer. FC this afternoon (after adding PQ) was down to about 1.5 I added 96 ounces of 6% bleach. The skimmer sock had more residue thsi afternoon.. more visable.. kinda off white/tan in sock.

AnnaK
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
It's really good to read that your water looks clearer!

Some of what you're catching with the skimmer socks is probably pollen. During the worst pollen times here what I'll get is some sort of yellowish/tan paste, kind of like the yellow cardboard box of baking soda dissolved in the skimmer. Other times I collects grey stuff even though the water really is crystal clear. It never ceases to amaze me what those socks pick up and keep out of the filter.

chuck9997
06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I keep watching the pool.. and checking every few hours. At first I thought maybe it was just wishful thinking that the water was clearing up.. but it isn't. At this rate.. I think it will be pretty clear within 48 hours (maybe less). I know its improving.. cause now I can really see the sticks, twigs,..etc I need to vacuum off the floor.

by the way.. when I bought the PQ60.. the pool guy said it wouldn't help any with the cloudiness of the pool.. he said it only prevents algae from growing. They are proud of there products too.. but I wanted them now. Bottle (32oz) of PolyQuat 60.. and a bag of 5 skimmers socks... $32 damage. I will order online from now on.. and allow for delivery time.

CarlD
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Remember "Peanuts"? Remember how Lucy would "teach" Linus? "This is a palm tree. It gets its name because you can put your palm around it....."

Think of the advice and comments by the pool store guy as being like Lucy-and don't be Linus! I'm not surprised he didn't know about PolyQuat so he just made some garbage up.

chuck9997
06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Water is close to "crystal" this afternoon.. and I am happy if it stays at this level of clarity. Got some vacuuming and general clean up to do tomorrow.. but it is very nice. I am pleased. Not sure if it was the skimmer socks or the PQ60.. I suspect a combo of the two.. and patience.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I will try and post a picture tomorrow evening.

CarlD
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Did you try the DE as well?

chuck9997
06-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I did try the DE first.. and ran the filter for about a day.. but then backwashed it out before the socks and PQ.

chuck9997
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
as promised.. pictures of the pool water today (06/08/10).. other than a few stray leaves.. I am happy!

http://www.hometownsitedesign.com/images/pool001.jpg

http://www.hometownsitedesign.com/images/pool003.jpg

Watermom
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Just beautiful!! You are going to make a lot of people quite jealous of that water. Especially our members who are currently struggling with cloudy water and metal problems, and there seems to be a lot of those this year.

To those of you who are currently struggling ---- hang in there. We're gonna stick with all of you until your water looks like this, too. It just takes time and patience.

Thanks, Chuck for sharing your pictures. Now --- get in that pool and swim!

chuck9997
06-11-2010, 09:20 AM
FOLLOW UP:
Lesson learned: take tuxedo steps out in winter.. and/or occasionaly clean behind and under them.

The day after I took the above pictures of the pretty water.. I decided to take my tuxedo steps loose from the deck and clean behind them. I had neglected this chore last year.. and also left the steps in during the winter (I don't cover the pool in winter). Well.. when I moved the stesp and turned them over.. it was like dumping a large garbage can full of dead leaves and crap into the pool. In a matter of 2 or 3 minutes the crystal clear water was medium green and the bottom covered with leaves, twigs and black crap.

Good ending though: I just took a deep breath.. scooped out leaves and debris for an hour or so.. getting as much as I could. Added a couple gallons of bleach (for good measure).. Put in a new skimmer sock.. let the pump run and run and run. Washing out and changing skimmer socks every couple of hours.

The next day it rained like a son-of-a-gun.. that was good. With the pool very full I was able to "vacuum to waste" the remainder of the floor debris.. without sacrificing my water level. Water remained cloudy and junky.. but after another day or so of running the pump.. and regularly changing the skimmer socks.. I am back to CLEAN!

Watermom
06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for sharing that. Experience is a good teacher!