PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Lighting Question

dhmojo
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave & this will be my 2nd season of having a pool. I have a 20 x 40 gunite in ground. It is about 50 years old. The filter is a Nautilus 48 DE, with a Hayward pump system. Before I moved into this house, the pool was never closed.
Last season, I opened it, battled the swamp, etc. I am a DIY guy, mainly by the size of my pocket book. I truly do like to do things myself as much as possible. This year my pump went bad. I went to my local pool guy who would only sell me a whole new assembly for $450. I found a local guy who sells rebuilt ones for $100 and guarantees it for life. I hate walking into the pool store, because they seem to always sell the most expensive things to me. I understand there are people who will pay that & more to have it installed. I can't do that at this oint in my life.
That being said, the light has never worked for me. It is an 11" niche. I don't know the brand. Last year I tried to take it apart while the pool was full, but could not get to it. I am emptying the pool to a workable level now. I do know to this point that the problem lies withing the light itself. I tested the GFIC receptacle it plugs into.
Could it just need a bulb? Can you get just a bulb, because I have only seen light/chord combos. I don't mind spending a little money, but some of the prices are outrageous. The other thing I am afraid of is that the previous owner somehow sealed it into the pool wall because of the difficulty I had when I first tried to take it apart. I did remove the top screw, but I could not budge the bottom one. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it apart.
Sorry for rambling, I just want to make this work right, at an affordable price. The pool guys always seems to try rip me off and I am sick of it.
Thanks-Dave

dhmojo
06-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, this mornig I got the level down to where I can work with the niche. I took the screw out & it seems that did nothing. I think the previous owners had the trim ring plastered into place. I was going to get a picture, but was running late.

Watermom
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry that I can't help with your problem. Trust me --- you don't want to be taking any kind of electrical advice from me!! Not unless you want curly hair (at the very least!) :eek::eek::eek:

The part of your post about being a DIY guy because of the size of your pocket book --- we can all relate to that. That is one of the great things about the Pool Forum. Everybody helping each other out which will usually save a lot of money!

Just wanted to pop in here and say hi and welcome to the forum. Sit tight. Someone who can help you will be along shortly I am sure!

dhmojo
06-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Well my saga continues. Here is where it is now for those interested.
I chipped away & removed the niche. It was indeed plastered into place. I got it all apart to the point where I have deduced that it is the actual socket itself. I am going to kepp taking that apart to see if I can replace that. If not, I guess I am going to have to throw in the towel.
Thanks-
Dave

Watermom
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Bumping this up to see if someone can give Dave some help.

dhmojo
06-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I opened up the fixture, wire brushed the contacts, & volia, it works.
Now the fun part of putting it back in.

Watermom
06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Now, aren't you glad you decide against throwing in the towel? Glad you got it working. Get it back in and then ...... go swim!!

aylad
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Just wanted to jump in and add my welcome to the forum--I know less than Watermom about electrical applications around the pool so didn't dare try to offer any advice, but I'm glad you got it working again, and your post just might helop somebody else in the same position!!

Glad to see you here...

Janet

Watermom
06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh, no, Janet. It isn't possible to know less about the electrical side of pool installations than me! I'm at the bottom!

CarlD
06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
While I know quite a bit more than either 'mom or aylad about electricity and electrics, I know almost nothing about full voltage pool lights. Glad you have GFCI on it! I'm a big fan of the newer low-voltage lights. I have ones where the lens is part of the pool wall and you access the fixture from outside the pool.

Isshin
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Mojo,
While you have it apart, I would suggest you look into replacing the bulb with an LED. They are cooler, last longer and burn less juice. Best of all they fit in a standard socket. I did it and have been very happy with the results. I even got one that changes colors and the kids love it.