PDA

View Full Version : Pool store plug

dep78737
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I know pool stores are reviled on this site, but I wanted to relay a good story.

I buy acid at the Warehouse Pool Supply in SW Austin since they beat out HD in the same parking lot by 30%. (4 gallons for $12 compared to 2 gal for $8) I have them test the water occassionally since I don't have a salt test and sometimes question my own readings on CYA.

Went in last week and the girl testing the water was dead-on with my readings. Salt was 200ppm lower than the Aquarite readout which is normal. Only sold me the acid I needed and a little CYA to boost what I had lost since last year. She gave proper instructions about adding chemicals a little at a time and waiting to get a good CYA reading. I asked for a replacement o-ring for my pump lid and she grabbed the right one without blinking. Another guy offered to take everything out to my car.

While waiting for the test results, I overheard another employee helping out a confused new pool owner whose builder was late (or skipped) on start-up. Everything I heard seemed rock solid from chemicals to brushing with no hard sell even though the guy could have been an easy mark. He gave a logical and simple explanation of how a SWG works and gave all the right pros/cons compared to the puck feeder already installed.

Overall great service and fair prices. Buyer beware but there are good pool stores out there. I will gladly spend a little more than the 'net at this place. Don't let the tatoos and piercings fool you -- we embrace wierdness in Austin.

CarlD
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Dep:

THAT is what we ALL want pool stores to do! Talk them up, recommend them to your friends. Give them business!

A store like that is a windfall and a joy.

I can go to 2 or 3 stores in my area where there are some knowledgable clerks. I can go to a couple of stores with good prices. Unfortunately, there's rarely any overlap between them.

I've had clerks tell me bleach will add "extra" bad stuff. Wrong. I've been told to use the "slug" method to lower total alkalinity. Wrong. I see "Total Alkalinity Raiser" 4 lbs for $12--and it's just baking soda. How many people are told they MUST add $40 worth of calcium to their vinyl pool? Wrong! I'm told all the time by clerks that they ONLY sell strips, not drop kits. Wrong!

It's like buying a car or a TV or a home theater sound system--or a computer. You must have lots of knowledge or you'll get burnt.

So finding a good, honest, inexpensive store is a treasure! Enjoy....