PDA

View Full Version : Risk in Draining Pool?

kidrobinski
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi all. Longtime lurker since back in the 90's. Found this board after my very first pool season, bought my test kit from Ben, and have lived happily bleach and borax after ever since. Until this opening.

I cannot get my pool uncloudy for hades or high water. This season has been a catastrophe from day one when my (cheap; lesson to be learned there) cover ripped and dumped its nasty contents in my pool.

However, that is another post. THIS post is for hopeful answer of a question that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.

For the first time, I am seriously considering draining and refilling my above ground pool (28 ft round); I am THAT discouraged. However, I have seen many on here (Ben was one) preach that one could cause serious damage to their pool by a drain.

If that is the case, how does one replace a liner without "damaging the pool"? Exactly how risky is the dreaded drain/refill?

Many thanks for any responses.

waste
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey, welcome back to posting:D

The trouble with draining an AG pool is liner shrinkage - the walls would still be sound. For an IG pool, you run the risk of it floating up out of the ground, if the ground water is sufficiently high. When liners are replaced, the pool dudes perform various acts of voodoo to keep the shell in the ground :p

You could probably get away with taking out ~ 2/3 of the water - which would be a good refreshening of the water while keeping the liner set. Make sure there are no issues, minerals, high CH or alk, with the water you'll be pumping back in!

kidrobinski
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
waste, just wanted to thank you for your reply.

Also, I did not drain; thanks to BBB/PPP/etc, water is now clear. It's amazing.

Thanks again.

waste
06-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm so very glad you were able to solve your issues without having to drain the pool!

You show all the signs of being a valued contributor to the forum :cool:

Thank You! :)