PDA

View Full Version : heater repair

bethsg
06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I have a Laars Lite 250BTU natural gas heater that isn't working... pool company suggested buying a new one rather than starting to replace parts one at a time to repair... not knowing what is wrong with it...

Thoughts?

Edit by Watermom --- Beth, check your private message inbox. Thanks.

waste
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
If you have the manual with the troubleshooting directions, you can 'jump out' the various switches to see which one is bad and only have to replace that part.

Pool Clown
06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Pool company suggested buying a new one rather than starting to replace parts one at a time to repair... not knowing what is wrong with it...

Replace parts one at a time? This usually means the pool company does'nt know how to repair (that) heater.Or maybe any heater.

Had they at least looked at the heater? Or did they recommend this sight unseen? You can buy a lot of parts for the price of a new heater.
Here is an LG-millivolt, if you have electronic ign (LD), i have that as well.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/PoolClown/JandyLG0001.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/PoolClown/JandyLG0002.jpg

If you can run a volt meter, you can try troubleshooting. A very benign test is to check the resistance of the temp sens. This is the trouble a lot of times.
If you don't feel comfortable with this, DON'T CONTINUE.

While it's not rocket science, it still requires a certain amount of safety.

Watermom
06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
HUH???? You mean people actually understand this stuff?? Definitely not MY department! :eek:

That is why there are all different types of people. Some people who understand all that boring stuff and other people that understanding shopping and ......... :D:D:D

BTW -- I'm not as stupid as this post of mine makes me sound ------ I'm just being silly. Gotta have some fun around this place! :p

craigrpeters
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Hard to believe your pool company can't at least give yousome idea of the problem. How old is your heater? If it's newer say under 5 years old it's probably still under a warranty. If it's less than 10 might still be worth fixing. Did they say anything about the heat exchanger being bad? If so then a new unit is likley needed.

FYI my company told me the same thing and in the end they were right - I made them tryto fix my 7 yr old Raypak unit and it was too rusted out.

Good luck
-Craig