PDA

View Full Version : Dismantling AGO to reinstall

Rach0730
05-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I am being given (for free) an 18X33 AGOval. I'm waiting to hear back from the original owner what type of support it is. Original Owner is going to clean and drain the pool. I must dismantle it. Of course I'm wanting to reinstall it ;) We would be doing this ourself. Hubby/myself and even kids are very very handy DIY crew. Has anyone else out there dismantled an oval and reinstalled it? Any hints/tips/tricks that u can share with me. Or in the veterans opinion is this something that I should just pass up on?

NWMNMom
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
You will be advised first off that the MOST important thing is to make sure the ground where it will go is level and solid - as close to perfectly level as possible. If it was me, I would take pictures of each step as you dismantle the pool. This way you will have that reference as you set it up again. Check the frame and parts carefully for rust and corrossion, removing any you find by sanding and sealing. Plan on covering all corners, edges, nuts, bolts, etc., with duct tape - you will need a LOT of duct tape. You may need new gaskets for the skimmer and returns - those should be inspected carefully for cracks, tears, brittleness, etc. Check all the hoses and connections for damage or wear. Write down a list of the exact order they are dismantled as you go - tracking how many of each, etc., keep that all in a file with the pictures you take of the process. This will save you a lot of headache as you set up again.

I have been told that you cannot re-use a liner because they shrink once the pool is drained, so you will probably want to order a new liner now. Make sure you have all the chemicals needed on hand before you start so you are prepared to start the pool up properly.

matt4x4
05-01-2006, 09:27 AM
You WILL have to purchase a new liner since the old one will have lost it's elasticity and will never go back in right.
Keep posting back, once you're close to the actual install and have some details on pool etc, many will chime in with lots of good help.

Rach0730
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Thank you both so much. I never thought of the picture idea... that will definately give one of the 8 yrs olds something to do for sure.

I'm starting today to prep and start leveling. I will definately keep you all posted as I'm sure I'll have 101 ???'s going through this.

hrsdennis
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
The take down and move part is usually the easiest. Be sure to disconect the wall before rolling it up. Leave the side braces assembled as much as is possible. This helps a lot with the reinstall. Post a few photos and you will get a lot of help with the installation.

Good luck, Dennis

tsandershsa
05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm in the process of putting a used 15x30 oval pool up now...Original owner said he bought the liner last year so I thought I could reuse it...It's amazing how much so things shrink!!!! Be prepared to get a new liner! I'm putting mine on a 30x30 concrete slab (kids basketball court) and so far the reassembly is going fairly smooth. I'm learning as I go by reading on this site
Good Luck
Todd

hrsdennis
05-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Todd, if you wanted to start a new thread and post some photos I could probably be of some help. I have installed a lot of ovals on concrete and may have some tips.

Good luck, Dennis