PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a timer

hhkont
05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I bought an Intermatic T104P3 DPST 220v timer. The kind that shuts the heater off a few minutes before the pump. I'm not quite sure how to wire it up. I'm pretty good with 110v household electricity but I'm a little puzzled over this one.

There is a red and black wire attached to each pole in the 220v circuit breaker. The black wires go to the pump, the red to the heater. But I'm wondering why is the heater switch is attached to both poles. Would this just be a simple microswitch? Why would it need 220v?

The wiring diagram on the timer tells me to attach the heater to the the two black wires on the clock motor. But, I have those two red wires where I would expect just a single load wire for the heater switch.

Any advice?

Pool Clown
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Leave the wires to the heater where they are, it's hooked up right. What you need to install is a single pair wire (16 ga. or smaller). this gets hooked up to the safety circuit. Depending on your heater, you may have a block to connect to, right on the heater. What model/brand heater do you have?

hhkont
06-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm glad I asked before I started pulling wires. The heater is a Hayward H350. I think it's an electronic version since there is no pilot. Does that sound right?

I looked through the wiring diagrams and I see 5 switches besides the main one. Am I after the TEMPERATURE LIMITER (SAFETY) SWITCH?

Any wiring advice is appreciated.

Pool Clown
06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
There should be a terminal block on the heater with a black jumper wire. This is where you make your fireman's switch connection. Remove the wire and connect your wires here. it is outlined in the manual (picture). If you don't have a manual, here:

http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manuals/pdfs/Manual285.pdf

Pg. 16

hhkont
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
I think I have it wired correctly. With the timer tripped, the display on the heater flashes "LO". Is that what I should expect?

Pool Clown
06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Will the heater only fire when your fireman's switch is closed?