PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

TwistyKat
05-01-2006, 07:05 AM
When is opening day for you?

Here in Massachusetts I plan on opening up either this weekend 5/6 or next 5/11. This about three weeks early this year but we want to have the pool open for a baby shower that we are hosting on 5/20.

It will likely still be too cold for most but at least it will be available if it happens to be an extraordinarily hot day.

Sherra
05-01-2006, 07:21 AM
We just had our pool installed in March. We went swimming for the first time on Easter Sunday (water temp was 78 w/ solar cover). Then we also swam the next day then it got cool again. We swam weekend before last (water temp was 80/82). Looks like we might get a chance to swim again this weekend.

Since it's a new pool I've not had to officially "open" (remove cover, etc.), but I'd assume next year I'll be opening around mid March.

CarlD
05-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I am SO close to swimming it hurts! We hit 79 briefly yesterday, but older kid has a little cold, the younger is 15 months today, and the air temp was in the 60's in the shade. This morning it was down to 76, but the air was 41! (brrrrrrrrrrrrr:eek: ).

We've had the solar cover on, but were between reels. Yesteday we got the new, all-metal reel assembled. I still need to put in the ladder.

farmgirl
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
With solar heater going, we opened up on April 1 as usual. Had my first real swim April 6th. Even had an early morning swim prior to going to work on April 25th.....but it has turned cold and stayed cold ever since, with very little sun to help the solar heat. I have been not too nice to be around over the weekend....I WANNA SWIM! :mad:

CrisL
05-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Carl's family is a lot stronger than me. The temperatures in NJ have been moderate and I haven't even begun to open my pool yet. I hope to get to it this weekend. I like it at least 80-80 (air and pool water temp).

MaryLee
05-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Due to a family vacation next week, we won't be opening until mid-May...ughhh, I'm afraid of what I'll find :(

CarlD
05-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Carl's family is a lot stronger than me. The temperatures in NJ have been moderate and I haven't even begun to open my pool yet. I hope to get to it this weekend. I like it at least 80-80 (air and pool water temp).

We haven't gotten in yet--though by sundown on Sunday it reached 80 (YAY!)--today it was 77 in the morning--I wonder if that was due to it being 40 degrees out at 6am :confused:

I need to get the cover off and vacuum it...I may do it with the PoolBuster rather than the Dolphin because then the cover is off for only 30 minutes, not all night.

aylad
05-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Water temp hit 80 degrees a couple of weeks ago (no solar cover!) and we've been swimming since...

Janet

Bergerman
05-03-2006, 05:29 PM
We opened the pool 2 week ago and the water temp is 67deg and we are putting on the solor cover on Thurs. We will crank up the heat pump in a week or so. Cold water looks far better than any winter cover:) .
Cheers
Ed
Clueless in NJ

NWMNMom
05-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh you guys are killin me. We usually don't get anything going until AFTER Memorial Day around here due to cold nights (we have even had snow on Mem Day weekend in the past.) We may be earlier this year, but then we have to get the NEW pool up first since the old one is history - road load limits go off May 15 so construction begins May 16!! Yay!!!

ivyleager
05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Here in Durham NC, pool has been cleaned and open since April. Actually never really closed over winter this year.

I had water temp up to 74 degrees about 2 weeks ago during a heat wave, but didn't jump in. Now regret that decision as temp dipped to mid 60's. Now experiencing another heat wave, so solar cover goes on tomorrow. Hopefully will swim this weekend.

CaryB
GO 'CANES!!

Prov35
05-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Memorial Day weekend for us. It is very cold here in central Illinois. My wife left to go turkey hunting and had to put on long johns this morning. Still running the furnace. We lifted the cover to check out the water last week, and it looked great!