PDA

View Full Version : Test kit Qs

PBLsQuad450
05-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

New here and loving all the information! I have read, and read and now maybe I'm being lazy but... I am going to buy a new test kit. I have seen reccommendations and appreciate them all! Should I get 2? One for quicky "monitoring" and one for real deal "testing" early season or if problems occur? I am not a pool rookie, but the sophistication level is so-so. I would have said it was high until I got here!! (THANKS) The degree of convenience varies between the better and cheaper kits, so should I have pretty aacurated and very easy as well as not so easy and dead-on accurate kit?

Also, do the liquid reagents expire? This could get very expensive. They say they do on the bottles? Do they really need to be replaced every year? I have tested reagents year to year with new ones and they read the same but I blindly followed the label and replaced them anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Love this, I can't believe how much I am learing.

PBL

aylad
05-30-2010, 04:41 PM
As I go through the years, I find that I accumulate test kits....and I think others will tell you the same thing.

We very highly recommend that you put the money into a good, comprehensive, drop-based test kit. The Taylor K-2006 is the one that we mostly recommend around here, and is available through online sources. (The current price is $55.00 plus shipping at http://www.spspools-spas.com, or $46 and change at http://www.amatoind.com/ .) I understand that some Leslie's sell a relabeled version of a similar kit, which would be fine, too. YOu want a kit that includes a DPD-FAS kit for chlorine that gives results for FC and CC, as well as pH, TA, CH, and CYA. Some of those kits include an OTO test kit for pH and chlorine, for "quickie" snapshots, but if not, you can get them for $5 at WalMart. When trying to correct a problem or initially balancing your water, the comprehensive kit will save you its cost tenfold. Once it's balanced, then you can use the OTO for quick testing just to check levels.

The liquid reagents are said to expire, but if you keep them in a cool, dark room they seem to last pretty much indefinitely. I'm still using some reagents that are 4-5 years old and comparing them with new ones, and they are just fine. The only exception to that is the DPD powder, which does go bad every year or two--you just replace it when the powder turns black and starts clumping. I get my refills from the same link I listed above, and have never had a problem with them. They are available online from other places as well.

Janet

PBLsQuad450
05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
aylad- This is the exact answer I was looking for! I am so grateful, and so, so impressed by this site. I'll order it ASAP. You know, I have been desperate to tell the pool store people to go get lost for years. I might be on the verge of finally being able to do that! Thanks!