PDA

View Full Version : BBB vs Pool Store

astargel
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Is it okay to switch to the BBB after using the pool store's chemicals without having to change the pool water entirely?

Thanks!

AnnaK
05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
The short answer is: Yes.

The long answer is: There are some specific techniques and processes to be applied, depending on what kind of sanitizer(s) you're presently using, the type of system you have, and your "numbers"—your water testing results.

If you'll post some specifics we will be in a much better position to advise you.

CarlD
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
More simply:

If you've been using any chlorine compound--pucks, powders, capsules, bags, you can switch to bleach / liquid chlorine immediately with NO negative effect at all. Bleach is compatible with salt systems too. Chlorine is chlorine.

If you've been using Bacquacil, you have to go through a painful conversion but you'll be happier in the long run.

If you've been using bromine, you'll have to drain your pool and refill, and then use lots of chlorine for a while.

astargel
06-02-2010, 02:19 AM
I haven't used anything yet :) My pool gets installed this week. I want to do the BBB method, but pool company gave me a big box of pool chemicals. I'd like to use those up so they don't go to waste. I will stear clear of the chemicals you guys mentioned. Thanks for your help, this place rocks!

Watermom
06-02-2010, 09:51 AM
What did they give you (ingredients). Have you bought a good test kit like the Taylor K-2006 yet? You can also go ahead and test your fill water. That way you will have an idea of the pH and alk of the water you will be adding and can plan accordingly. (You aren't filling from a well are you?)

How smart you are, to be reading and learning ahead of time. Lots of people here with a big mess on their hands and wishing they had done just that!

CarlD
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Yes, list the stuff they gave you. If it's useful, we'll help you determine that. If it's garbage, we'll advise you to chuck it.

If they gave you stuff with names like:
Clarifier
Flocculent
PhosFree (or other phosphate remover)
Calcium flakes (and you have a vinyl liner)
Algaecide (with a caveat to be explained)

We'll suggest you don't use them. There is only one type of algaecide we recommend and ALL the others we recommend you throw away or give them to someone you don't like!:D

If they gave you chlorine chemicals--powders or tablets, tell us what they are as well. Some are fine, at least for a while. Others (such as "Double-Acting" or "algae control added" ) may have bad stuff you don't want.

But, the GREAT thing about B-B-B is that chlorine is chlorine and if you are setting up a chlorine pool with ANY type of chlorine you can be B-B-B instantly!

So... let us know, and let us know the size and type of pool.

astargel
06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
I bought an 18' AG round pool with 52" walls from sunenterprises.com, it's the "Paradise" model. I ordered the Taylor K-2006 from the site you all recommended and got it for around $50 (thanks for saving me a bunch of money on that!) I will be filling the pool with tap water (not a well).

The chemical kit comes with:
2lbs quick shock
2.5lbs pH rise
3lbs pH minus
2lbs stabilizer (is this CYA?)
7lbs hardness (do I even care about this?)
1 quart stain and scale
and Pool Care Instructions (I'll be tossing that in the trash)

Are there any chemicals in the kit that I ought to toss? Thanks for everything :)

Watermom
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
What ingredient is in the quick shock?

Wait and see what your pH and alk are before adding the pH rise or pH minus. Post your numbers here and we'll advise you if using those two are needed and or ok to use.

Yes, stabilizer is cya. Read the label for how much to add based on your volume, and then add only half that much. Also, sometimes those labels tell you to broadcast it into the pool but don't do that. It dissolves slowly and you don't want acid granules just sitting there on your new liner! :eek: Either pour it slowly into the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter (keep pump running and don't backwash for about a week or you'll throw it right out, though.) Or, you can fill a stocking or old sock with it and hang it in front of a return jet. Regardless of how you decide to add it, wait a week and then test for it before deciding if you need to add more. Better to gradually get to your target than overshoot because the only way to correct high cya level is to do a partial drain.

You are correct about the calcium hardness -- don't need that stuff in a vinyl pool.

Glad we were able to save you some money by directing you to a good price for the kit!