PDA

View Full Version : Adding CYA question

BigTallGuy
05-28-2010, 02:54 PM
What would be a reasonable amount of time to wait after adding Dry CYA (pre-dissolved of course) to the pool skimmer before testing the CYA level in the pool? 1 Day? 2 Days? a week? I am bringing my CYA up slowly so as not to add too much, but what do you think?

Also, For the record I was told there is no way to lower CYA levels by the infamous Pool Store clerks, but I am seeing info on this forum that you can lower it without draining the water. What would be the prefered method if there is one?

joenj
05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I would wait at least a week before testing again. And do not backwash prior to the week.

The PS is correct, water replacement is the only way to lower the CYA. Not sure where you read otherwise here. Maybe you are referring to lowering the TA?

CarlD
05-28-2010, 04:05 PM
If you've pre-dissolved your CYA before adding it, you can probably get a good reading after 48 hours.

There IS another way to get rid of CYA other than dilution (draining and refilling).

But just imagine Bugs Bunny saying "But you don't want to do it that way, Doc!" And he's right!:eek:

BigTallGuy
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I pre-dissolved about 1 lb. of dry CYA in about a gallon of water. After about 1 week and shaking it every day, it still had "Cottage Cheese" in the bottom of the gallon jug when I poured it into the skimmer.

I will have the water tested again tonight and suspect I will be in the 50-60 range with a target of 70-80. My pH appears to be settling down and not spiking lke it was, so it looks like I am heading in the right direction. I am considering turning my "ON" time on the SWCG down to 5 hours from 6, but I'm going to let everything settle in first.

What an awsome website!

Watermom
05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
CYA won't really pre-dissolve very easily. It would take days before it did. At least any time I ever tried, it didn't. I would wait a week before retesting. No hurry. Better to go slow than retest too soon and add some only to find a few days later that you have overshot your target.

And, Carl is right. No easy way to lower cya without draining and refilling.

I, too, put some CYA in a container of water and left it out on the deck, shaking it every few days and mine didn't totally dissolve either.