PDA

View Full Version : DPD reagents or buy another test kit

nthach
05-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I currently have a HTH/Taylor 6-way and a el cheapo Kem Tek test kit at my disposal. Both use OTO and phenolphthalein for Cl and pH testing, while the HTH kit has tests for CH and CYA.

I told the person who has the pool we need to get a DPD test for Cl, and I was wondering if I use the test vessels with a reference card and the appropriate reagents - or would I be better served with a separate DPD test kit?

nthach
05-28-2010, 03:19 AM
Ordered the kit off Amato. Also, we now have an redundant OTO/pH kit now. Can I keep the reagent in the fridge for a rainy day?

CarlD
05-28-2010, 06:40 AM
You don't need to. Just a dark, cool cabinet is fine.

Watermom
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Actually, I still use my OTO most days to test my chlorine. My pool is well maintained and my chlorine levels are consistently monitored so I know my water is sanitized and I have no CC. So a reading from my OTO kit is fine for me for most days. My CYA is low enough that I don't have to keep my chlorine higher than my OTO kit will read. So, while I do need my FAS-DPD at times, my OTO serves its purpose, too.

Of course, I've been doing this for awhile. If you are new to your test kit, it is a good idea to use it often to become proficient at doing the tests in it. Also, if you are clearing up a green or cloudy pool, you'll most likely be shocking and will need the FAS-DPD to be able to read chlorine readings higher than 5.

Long story short -- even if you have a good test kit (which you should), your OTO kit is still something you will use.