PDA

View Full Version : Problem Filter

Lenardo
05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I am new in this, so sorry if i am in the wrong forum spot.

My question is that does a in ground pool has more then 1 filter, or does it has more.

My other question is that when my pool pump is on, and then when the water goes in and when it comes out, then the dirty come out with the water is like the filter is not stopping it. So what do you think i have to change the main big filter or there are a different filter.

Thank you.

Watermom
05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Home inground pools typically just have one pump and filter. What kind of filter do you have? Have you backwashed the filter? What pressure is the gauge on your filter reading? Have you been vacuuming a lot of dirt/dust or is your pool green or anything like that?

Lenardo
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
the pump is http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8024/dsc01852fn.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8899/dsc01853un.jpg

and when the water goes in with dirt then it come out over here where u see the pictuer

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1373/dsc01854eh.jpg

THE WATER IS CLEAN you can see it in the third pictuer

Watermom
05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not the pump expert so I'm gonna let Al or somebody else help you with this problem. But.............. these pictures are HUGE! Can you please cut them way down in size for us? Thanks.

aylad
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
It looks to me like a sand filter, evidenced by the multiport valve in the second picture. However, unless that model works much differently than mine, the handle appears to be malfunctioning, which could let sand and dirt into the return water. When you push the handle down and move it to another position, does it "click" into place, or does it just stay pushed down when you let go?

It looks like maybe the spring has gone bad, and if so, probably the gasket needs to be replaced as well. What do you hardware experts think?

Janet

Lenardo
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the feed back everybody. (I FIXED THE PICTURES)

The handle I think it works good, b/c when I push it in then the water comes out. It doesn't make a clicking sound but when i push it in and turn it then it makes clicking sounds.

This filter that I have it very old. (I will have pictures of the filter tomorro) What do you think I have to change the filter. The filter that is in side its a little riped from i think being to old.

________________________________--
Lenardo

Watermom
05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Lenardo, for fixing the pics! One of our pump/filter people will be along shortly to help you with this!

waste
05-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the pics, they help!

You've got a Hayward SuperPump and what appears to be a DE filter (Jan, DE filters' multiports are plumbed 180* backwards from sand filters' - because De filters are fed from the bottom and sand filters are fed from the top :cool:)

Please see this post for some basics on using a DE filter.

I'm wondering if you have added DE to the filter, though - perhaps it's a multiport issue, does water come out of the 'waste' port when it's set to 'filter'?

I hope this points you in the right direction, feel free to ask follow up questions :)

Lenardo
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I open the filter and i took out one by one the DE filter i think there were 8 and i never open one by one> Before i only clean it from the side with water, while i open one by one in side there was a lot i mean a lot of Green sticky stuff. i clean that and put everything together, but it still the things come out. (thing - like grass or little bugs or some else) You think I should buy a new de Filter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentair-Hayward-Pac-Fab-Filter-Grids-36-Sq-Ft-/220569285759

CarlD
05-29-2010, 05:59 AM
I'm not the DE expert but I know the screens can be cleaned if they are not damaged. Pool stores will do that for a fee, but they soak them in muriatic acid to clean them. You may not need to replace them, but you may. If you replace the filter, you almost certainly need to replace the multivalve to get one compatible with your pool.

At that time you CAN choose to stay with a DE filter or switch to sand or cartridge. That's up to you.

If water is going in his skimmer and coming out dirty from what appears to be his low drain....something is probably plumbed wrong. Who puts a return so low in a pool? Of course it is POSSIBLE--there's no physical reason I know of not to put a return low.

But if it is a low return, then simply properly cleaning the filter of that goo and re-introducing DE may fix it.

Just some ideas.

Lenardo
05-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just buy a new filter because my old one is just riped and the plastic is broken in some few spots, but if the things still come out then you think i should replace the multi valve.

CarlD
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
IMHO, if you replace your filter, you should replace your multivalve with it.

aylad
05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
(Jan, DE filters' multiports are plumbed 180* backwards from sand filters' - because De filters are fed from the bottom and sand filters are fed from the top :cool:)

Thanks Ted, I learn something new every day ;)

Janet

waste
05-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just buy a new filter because my old one is just riped and the plastic is broken in some few spots, but if the things still come out then you think i should replace the multi valve.

If the grids are damaged, that will allow debris to bypass the filter (much like you describe). You can get replacement grids easily enough, but if you want a new filter - it's your pool and your choice.

However you handle this, we'll be here to proffer our best advice to enable you to have a pool that is easy and less expensive to maintain :cool:

(Jan, it's always my pleasure to be able to educate pool owners ;) )

[edit] Carl, the company I work for installs 3 'low returns' on every new pool and 'rehab'. The reason we do it is to more efficiently heat the pool and distribute the chlorine (usually from a SWCG)

Lenardo
05-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for everyones help.