PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help with testing

JazzMan2010
05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Hello,
I'm a fairly new pool owner and new to this site. I bought a home last year that had a 18x36 in ground pool with a salt cholorinator as source for chlorine production. I used it a month last year before closing. In that time i was having my water tested by a local pool store and they were selling me lots and lots of chemicals. Anyway i found this site a few days ago and since have decided to get away from lining their pockets. I bought my Borax, Baking Soda, etc. My question is on testing. Since i have a Salt Chlorinator the chlorine levels last year were always very stable when i took it in the store. I do have test strips as well. Although i see on this site that those are not very accurate. Which kit should i be looking at buying and do i need to monitor chlorine as much meaning every day instead of every week like i was doing because of my chlorinator. Thanks so much.

Watermom
05-27-2010, 08:09 AM
We suggest the Taylor k-2006 test kit. As far as how often you need to test ---- I think since you will just be starting to test your own water, for awhile you should probably test every day. For practice as well as to learn the pattern for your pool. Then, as you see what is normal behavior, you can probably decrease the frequency. Welcome to the forum.