PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Pool Ready

TJNav
03-25-2006, 05:53 PM
This was the first winter for my pool and on the recommendation of friends in the area, kept it open. The winters are relatively mild and I have few trees in the yard. I kept an eye on the Cl and Ph levels through the winter and had no problems.

However, I went out of town for a month and I guess the Cl was getting low. With the warmer temps and low Cl, I now have a fair amount of green algae on the sides and bottom. My question is, should I just shock it with bleach and then vacuum to waste or do I need an algaecide? I've already raised my Cl according to Ben's Table (15ppm Cl for my CYA level of 40). Looking forward to crystal water again this year!

FC - 15
Ph - 7.6
CYA - 40

Thanks
Tom

Watermom
03-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Just shock your pool. That is all you need to get rid of the algae. There is actually no real reason to routinely use an algaecide. I never do except at closing for the fall and then I add a double dose. Make sure you use Polyquat 60 if you do decide to use one. Other than that, I never use the stuff.

Watermom

aylad
03-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Like Watermom said, just shock the pool--but be prepared to maintain the shock level until the green goes away.

Janet

TJNav
03-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks guys. From what I read last season, that is what I was going with. Just wanted some reassurance! I'm very lucky to have stumbled upon this forum BEFORE I installed a pool. You can't imagine the hours I've spent here before a drop of water went in the pool. Saved me from costly lessons in pool maintenance! You guys rock!!! Thanks again.

Tom