PDA

View Full Version : Winter cover help.

romeomontego
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on some of the better winter covers? I thought about doing one with the mesh drains however dont want to deal with the green water so am probably gonna go with a solid one. Are loop locks worth it? I had 2 local companys quote me on the loop locks with the mesh the other day, 1 wanted 1600 for it, and the othe was 1800 but included closing the pool? Are these ok deals? Has anyone ever installed these themselves? I did hear about another company that had a high rating, cant recall the name but believed it began with an M?
Thanks

CarlD
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I've used a mesh safety cover for years and this was the first time I EVER opened to green water. Usually, my water is clear but there's lots of dust on the bottom, which has to be vacuumed. The advantage of mesh is water doesn't pool on it so much, then freezing and adding extra weight.

The green water was due to rotten spring and a late opening--I clobbered it with LC and the water was blue in 24 hours.

waste
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Meyco is probably the name you're looking for. (though there's also Merlin)

Modern weaving technology has improved to the point that the new 'sunblock weave' covers open crystal clear, and weigh ~ 1/2 as much as a solid cover. Also, the mesh covers will dry in the bag while solid covers need to be dried before folding and bagging.

If you need any more info on your options, just let us know:)

romeomontego
05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
out of the 3 companies mentioned above, which is the best

waste
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
There all pretty much the same, as well as some companies that weren't mentioned.

They provide almost identical products and the buyer has to weed through the marketing BS to compare price v.s. quality/ functionality/ durability/ warranty.

Feel free to ask about specific brand pros and cons here - I'm sure that the members who own the different brands will tell their experience in ownership.

I have my own preferences, but I'm biased by installing whichever cover my boss tells me to - and I don't own a pool.

romeomontego
05-28-2010, 01:01 AM
anyone? It seems like around here everyones dealing with either merlin, loop lock, or i think its called CLA or something like that, they are based out of ohio. Our pools something like 18x40, and the quotes have been all right around 1800. How hard are the installs? Ive heard nothing good about loop locks customer service.wheres the best place to buyfrom online?