PDA

View Full Version : In-floor cleaning systems

ttfn92
04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
I was just wondering what people's opinions were on them. Everyone that I have talked to who has one loves it. The only negative comments I hear are from people who don't have one. We are planning on getting one, but I wanted to hear others opinions. We are going the owner/builder route and our consultant recommends the Polaris Caretaker. One of the pool builders we got a bid from recommended the MagnaSweep. I would love to hear the good and bad about these systems.

We are building an inground pool.

MaryLee
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I think it depends on if you have a gunite or liner pool.

I would love an in-floor system, but we decided against it when we put in our IG Vinyl pool a few years ago. My reason, although I have no evidence to back it up, was that the fewer "holes" we put in our liner the better.

The pool is heavily used....it seems to stay clean on its own. :)

BruceAZ
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I was just wondering what people's opinions were on them. Everyone that I have talked to who has one loves it. The only negative comments I hear are from people who don't have one. We are planning on getting one, but I wanted to hear others opinions. We are going the owner/builder route and our consultant recommends the Polaris Caretaker. One of the pool builders we got a bid from recommended the MagnaSweep. I would love to hear the good and bad about these systems.

We are building an inground pool.

We live in Arizona and have a Paddock Pool with something called PCC-2000 in floor cleaning system and really love it. It was worth the extra money.:)

us3
05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
We also live in AZ and are having pebble interior put in. Everyone we have spoke with has mentioned that the pebbles will most likey block the pop ups. In-floor was our original plan, until we started looking at the cost and decided to go against it thus saving 5-8k on the total cost of the pool.
My MIL has a regular plaster interior and we LOVE what the in floor does with her pool.
Hope that helps...2 different scenarios

waterbear
05-03-2006, 12:46 PM
My biggest concern with in floor cleaners (I researched them before I decided to go with fiberglass instead of gunite for my pool) is that they use a manifold that switches the output between the different cleaner heads. As it switches it creates a large backpressure on the system. I actually observed the pressure gauge on a filter with such a system jump up and and down as each popup came into play. I don't know the long term effect of this but IMHO, it certainly can't be good for the pump, filter, etc. It seems that it would create a lot of stress on the plumbing, pump, and filter system. My understanding is that all in floor cleaners operate this way.

mabrolat
09-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Curious - anyone else have experience w/ in-floor cleaners for IG gunite pool? Any longterm data as to equipment wear as per Waterbear's concerns?

South_Texas_Sun
09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Curious - anyone else have experience w/ in-floor cleaners for IG gunite pool? Any longterm data as to equipment wear as per Waterbear's concerns?

We got "talked out" of the pop up cleaner system by our poolbuilder.

I never saw the system installed, but the promo pictures looked like something that roughhousing kids could hurt their little feet on. (or bigger kids :)

Just a thought....I really don't know if it's a valid concern in practical use, but I'm very pleased with the dedicated pump/line robot cleaning device approach.

STS

Poconos
09-02-2006, 04:09 PM
My own take on anything buried where you can't get to it easily is, forget it. I don't like main drains and these popup cleaners appear to be much more trouble than they're worth.
Al

cwstnsko
09-03-2006, 02:12 AM
I have the Paramount PV-3 sytem in my Shotcrete pool with Pebble -Sheen. It's 2.5 years old with no issues and it make the pool VERY low maintenance. The system does not increase back pressure as it changed circuits, it DECREASES back pressure as it hold two circuits open simultaneously during the switch. I do run higher back pressure than pools w/o in-floor, but it hasn't casued any issues to date.

I've heard reports of LONG TERM problems (20+ years) on pools with in-floor systems due to the cyclic pressure on parts of the system.

With regard to problems with the heads, that's a function of the complexity of the heads. Heads with lots of moving parts (springs, ratchets etc.) have more probems than simpler designs (like the PV-3)

Some brands of heads are VERY expensive.

AFAIK, all of the systems need the gear mechanism in the distribution valve changed every 5-10 years.

In-floor is not cheap, and adds more components to maintain, but it dramatically reduces the amount of time spent sweeping and vacuuming the pool.

beary
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
We wanted the in floor system but couldn't find a gunite pool builder who had experience with them in Oklahoma City. The one we did find only installs vinyl pools and he has installed a lot without complaints. The systems we did look at had life-time warranties on the heads and I was told the companies are very good with customer support because they want the systems to catch on. While in floor systems are still new in the U.S., they have been popular in Australia for a long time. There is one builder in our area that is starting to install the system and has a demo pool to show how they work. After watching it for a while, I think they would be worth the cost.