PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Muriatic Prenunciation Insanity

Travisr
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
For god sakes can we please agree to just call this stuff by the IUPAC and go with hydrochloric acid??? It would stop me from having the word snootily pronounced by every Tom Dick and Hairy in the outdoor section of a store. "Pardon but do you know where the mu·ri·at·ic acid is" "Oh you must mean MURH-ATIC, or MIRI-ATIC, or MOOR-ATIC acid" This word needs to be banned! Maybe I'm just nuts but after the 10th time you've had the prenunciation explained to you 10 different ways it just proves the public shouldn't have this word.

We could start a movement.... NO, a crusade I say to you sir!

/Rant

P.S. Pool was green. Done Borax to 50PPM and hydrochloric to stabilize. Shocked algae into submission using FC to CYA chart following information on forum. Looks like the pool should clear today as I did a final scrub of bottom and sides and got very little "junk" up and I can see the bottom on the sides. Thank you all for your very informative posts. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll have eureka!

CarlD
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
:D

Just think: These same people who are correcting your pronunciation will be the same ignoramuses who tell you to use the "Acid Slug" method to lower Total Alkalinity!;)

aylad
05-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's hoping for a crystal pool for you tomorrow!!! :cool:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Janet

AnnaK
05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Funny post! Welcome to PF.

When I first started reading about marotic . . . uh, murretic . . . ah, whatever acid I had to look up what it is. Oh. HCl. Why didn't they say so? But then again, we frequently suggest that people get some CYA—have you ever asked for CYA at the pool store? Even if you use the full name you get the blank look and "Siam- . . . what?"

My personal favorite mispronunciation is SWG wherein people swallow a whole entire word, namely chlorine. I can live with mangling 'muriatic' but am spending far too much time marveling at folks who're able to generate salt water. Out of salted water.

Glad you got your pool de-greened. Happy swim season!

polyvue
05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
My personal favorite mispronunciation is SWG wherein people swallow a whole entire word, namely chlorine. I can live with mangling 'muriatic' but am spending far too much time marveling at folks who're able to generate salt water. Out of salted water.
What? You need a recipe? OK

1) Get yurself a hundred cubic meters of ocean
2) Strain
3) Pour into pool

NWMNMom
05-14-2010, 07:38 PM
LOL - at least you aren't getting "Oh you can't put acid in a pool!!!":eek: