PDA

View Full Version : Return Line blocked

Bkirrane
05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Last fall I winterized my in ground pool myself for the first time. I used an air compressor to blow out the lines,

Yesterday I opened it. Everything when well initially. When I began the pump antifreeze and air bubbles shot out of the two return lines. Everything was going ok for about 5 minutes when one of the return lines stopped working. It was only discharging a few bubbles from time to time. Do I have an air blockage in this return line? How do I fix it.

Thank you, Bill

Poconos
05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
By 'air blockage' I assume you mean something like a vapor lock in a fuel system. No. Some questions. What is your pressure doing? I assume the flow from your returns is unbalanced in that one is normal and the other is very low? Can you describe how the returns are plumbed? i.e. one scenario is a single pipe from the filter going to the first return where it is tee'd and then goes to the second return further down the pipe. I can't imagine anything breaking loose from anything and getting stuck in that pipe. As odd as it seems is it possible a rodent or bird crawled into an open pipe when and if you had things apart for the winter? If it's plumbed like I mentioned, which return is low? The one closest or furthest from the filter. Have you removed any eyeballs to see if anything pops out? We'll figure this out.
Al

waste
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Welcome to PF!!

Might just be that you've finally purged the air out of that one section of pipe and still have a little stuck in the other, that needs a little more time to 'work itself out'.

How's the pressure feel coming out of each? (that'll help us determine which of Al's scenarios you're probably dealing with :cool: )

Luv & Luk

Ted

Bkirrane
05-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you Poconos and Waste. I tightened the lid on the pump and that did the trick. I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me.

BKirrane

Poconos
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
That's what we like to hear. Simple and CHEAP solutions.
Al