PDA

View Full Version : cartridge to sand / pump size ect...

Lawrosa
05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Here is what I had.

Pool 15x21x52" oval
1hp two speed hayward powerflo matrix.
xtreme cartidge filter 100 s ft

Worked great first two years

Pool three years old and last year cartrige needed cleaning often. Tried all the cleaners, acid, and was down to power washing it with a light electric one. What a pain in the arse to take this out and spray it down. You vacuum upon opening the pool and the darn thing would clogg in 10 minutes. Figure filter is shot

Priced a new filter $125 - $180 depending on genuine or after market. Yeah I am going sand!!!!

I might be wrong but I bought a sand filter on craigs list for $50. A 166t(100 lbs sand) and I assumed this was ok for a pool my size.

After reading this site I have found I am wrong in filter size and pump size. My only ace in the hole is that I have a two speed pump and probably should run it on low at all times

1. Do you think it is filtering at 1hp when I am vacuuming?
Vacuuming on low dont suck the crap up that good I would think. (have not tried it yet.)

2. leak on waste outlet when running. Changed spider gasket but did not silicone it. Should I?? And what about the spring?

3. Its a sp 711 valve. I was told they dont make it and the upgrade is the 714 (top only $67) Should I buy the spring?

Pool was clear using the cartridge upon opening. Clogged two much, so I let it sit a week or two Algae grew, pollen ext...

Now I have the sand filter going. Vacuumed on 1hp, shocked, brushed, pool is semi cloudy. 2nd day running at 1 hp

CL 12-15 Adding 3/4 to a gallon at night
PH 6.5 ( low but I am adjusting Alk first)
Alk 50 ( added about 2 lbs baking soda)
Cyn acid 0 ( Open every yr and Cyn 0. Added 1lb cyn. Will get to 20-30 but takes afew days. Better slow then overshoot. I always get to 30 and I dont know why I have 0 every spring)

Sorry for all the questions. First pool and only had cartridge. Sand is a new animal to me, but I am learning quick.

Mike Howell NJ

CarlD
05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi Mike!

Your pump and filter are probably mismatched. You can always have too big a sand filter for the pump, but not too small. Too small means you can damage the filter at worst or push through too much water to be able to filter at best.

I don't know the brand but I'm guessing your full speed pump in 1 hp and "full-rated" (IG pumps are usually full-rated and AG pumps are "up-rated"--this means they aren't as powerful for the rated HP).

I would suggest, for the moment, when you vacuum, you vacuum to the WASTE setting on full power. Yes, you'll lose water but the junk will not be pushed through the filter. If it's a used filter, you may have damaged laterals--it's like an upside-down umbrella frame in the filter--and they'll need repair.

You may have a damaged spider gasket too, that's why water is going to waste, or your positioning handle may not be going down all the way. I hope by "Silicone" you mean gasket lubricant, not sealer--NEVER use sealer. Lubing gaskets with O-ring lubricant is always a good thing to do.

Also did you get actual filter sand in sealed 50lb bags? Any other sand could well give you the problems you describe (other than the leak).

Hope this is a start. Once you get a sand filter worked out you'll never look back.

Lawrosa
05-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Mike!

Your pump and filter are probably mismatched. You can always have too big a sand filter for the pump, but not too small. Too small means you can damage the filter at worst or push through too much water to be able to filter at best.

I don't know the brand but I'm guessing your full speed pump in 1 hp and "full-rated" (IG pumps are usually full-rated and AG pumps are "up-rated"--this means they aren't as powerful for the rated HP).

I would suggest, for the moment, when you vacuum, you vacuum to the WASTE setting on full power. Yes, you'll lose water but the junk will not be pushed through the filter. If it's a used filter, you may have damaged laterals--it's like an upside-down umbrella frame in the filter--and they'll need repair.

You may have a damaged spider gasket too, that's why water is going to waste, or your positioning handle may not be going down all the way. I hope by "Silicone" you mean gasket lubricant, not sealer--NEVER use sealer. Lubing gaskets with O-ring lubricant is always a good thing to do.

Also did you get actual filter sand in sealed 50lb bags? Any other sand could well give you the problems you describe (other than the leak).

Hope this is a start. Once you get a sand filter worked out you'll never look back.

I changed the laterals and bought the middle grade sand from to pool store. It was Mystic White sand from US silica. The pump is a hayward but actually AO smith. Says 1 hp High .16 hp low. 3500 rpm high or 1700 low

I am going to get a new spring and try that, I already changed the spider gasket. and just placed it in there. The pool store said to cement it, or silicone it in but I did not do that..

Frustrating, With the pump I have what is the recommended filter size? 15x21 AG.

Carl I would figure I could run on low and get good results 12 hours a day with this filter.

CarlD
05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Well, I have a similar pump--Hayward 2spd Superpump with 1 hp full-rated and I run a 200lb sand filter with no trouble. It's not as simple as that--it's all about flow rates and feet of head and a lot of stuff I don't understand either. So rule of thumb goes.

I think for now you will be fine running on low 12 hrs a day-- it's still cheaper than 6 to 8 hours on full.

I've never heard of gluing in a spider gasket. Maybe it's a brand thing or the store guys are lost. If it looks like O-ring rubber, only as a spider web, I STILL think glue is a rotten idea.

I actually think you have something stuck in the multi-valve mechanism that's keeping it from closing the chambers properly. But that's a guess.

Lawrosa
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, I have a similar pump--Hayward 2spd Superpump with 1 hp full-rated and I run a 200lb sand filter with no trouble. It's not as simple as that--it's all about flow rates and feet of head and a lot of stuff I don't understand either. So rule of thumb goes.

I think for now you will be fine running on low 12 hrs a day-- it's still cheaper than 6 to 8 hours on full.

I've never heard of gluing in a spider gasket. Maybe it's a brand thing or the store guys are lost. If it looks like O-ring rubber, only as a spider web, I STILL think glue is a rotten idea.

I actually think you have something stuck in the multi-valve mechanism that's keeping it from closing the chambers properly. But that's a guess.

One more thing. I thought my old cartridge was 3 yrs old. I see I became a member in 2004. That would make the filter cartridge going on its 6th yr. Mabye I should have just bought a cartridge since I got my yrs out of the original. The cartringe filter is rated for 80 gallons max and this sand filter is rated at 35. Hmm what to do. I have two fiters. . I also have the oringinal one speed matrix pump. Mabye I could sell that to recoup my costs and start over. I could sell this sand filter also and go to a 200lb unit. I am unemployed since oct, and really am on limited funds.

What to do... what to do.... I wish someone says the 1hp is fine for that sand filter. Not!!!

Mike Howell NJ

CarlD
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Call the manufacturer.

Lawrosa
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
One more thing. I thought my old cartridge was 3 yrs old. I see I became a member in 2004. That would make the filter cartridge going on its 6th yr. Mabye I should have just bought a cartridge since I got my yrs out of the original. The cartringe filter is rated for 80 gallons max and this sand filter is rated at 35. Hmm what to do. I have two fiters. . I also have the oringinal one speed matrix pump. Mabye I could sell that to recoup my costs and start over. I could sell this sand filter also and go to a 200lb unit. I am unemployed since oct, and really am on limited funds.

What to do... what to do.... I wish someone says the 1hp is fine for that sand filter. Not!!!

Mike Howell NJ

Well I got this off the Hayward site. I used Silicone and not Crazy Glue. The 3 m stuff I think is expensive. I let it dry 4 hrs.

No More leak out waste. Here is what I found.

Question.
Why does my multiport valve leak out of the backwash line?

Answer.
The valve seat gasket inside of the valve may have become worn or loose. If this is the case, you will need to replace the gasket. With the pump off, remove the cover screws of the valve.

NOTE: Mark the top and bottom of the valve with a marking pen. It's very important that you do not change the location of the cover when re-assembling. Some newer valves will have a flat spot along side one of the cover screws. When re-assembling, align the flat spots.

GENLTY remove the old gasket and glue, ensuring the channels are clean and clear. Use 3M adhesive, part number SPX0710Z9, or crazy glue**. Lay a bead of adhesive into the channel where the gasket sits. Place the flat side of the gasket into the channel. Apply pressure to firmly seat the gasket and let dry for 24 hours or contact your Authorized Hayward Dealer for repair.

**Crazy Glue – Use caution when using crazy glue. You will have only ONE chance to seat the gasket