PDA

View Full Version : Hayward super pump extremely loud

Bruxergirl
05-09-2010, 10:44 AM
my hayward super pump 2hp only made a humming sound and tried the tapping thing. That failed, so my dad took it apart and put ALOT of force on that screw looking thing that goes into the casing. it started turning again and the pump fired right up. A day later, I now have a slow drip at the very bottom of the pump of the diagram and the pump is very loud. No noticable air coming in and getting full pressure…just awfully loud. We had a bad winter with a lot of snow and a lot of white stuff(calcium deposits) on everything this year. Anyone know what could be causing this noise? It does feel like it is running a lot hotter than usual too. Thanks for any suggestions.

aylad
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Have you tried taking the cover off the impeller to see if something's jamming it up? If you're having a lot of deposits elsewhere, it's entirely possible that they are gumming up the pump impeller, too-that would cause the hum at first and would explain the noise and why it's running hotter than usual.

Just a suggestion, but it's the first thing I would check. Make sure that the power is completely off to the motor before taking that cover off!!

Janet

Poconos
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Jan could be right with the impeller being crudded up and over the winter the junk in it could have caused it to put enough of a load the motor couldn't start. If that was the case then there is probably a lot of friction in the impeller area. Normally the impeller doesn't touch the pump body but there is very little clearance. Now with it running you may be generating enough frictional heat to cause the seal to go or something to warp. Or, could be the motor bearings seized. You can get to the impeller through the pump basket chamber. Reach in the hole and see if you feel any crud. As Jan said, be sure the thing cannot start or you'll lose your fingers. Kill the circuit breaker. You can use a wire hook (coat hanger wire) to help pull stuff out if you feel something.
Al