PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Replacement 1hp AO Smith Motor

Spurgeon
05-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Anyone had any success in just replacing the bearings on the motor rather thanbuying a new motor?

I have gone through 3 motors and now looks like I need a 4th. Are the pump seals no good anymore? I know people that have had the same pump and motor for years and no problems.

What am I doing wrong here? Have a Hayward pump presently, but have had the same issues with a sta-rite pump as well. This is an inground pool and the chemicals used are those that are suggested here. Bleach and Borax.

Are these eating up the pump seal causing the bearings to go out on the motors?

HELP HELP!

aylad
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I had a Hayward motor that lasted about 6 years, running year-round with no problems--I don't know how much it would have cost to replace just the bearings, but the guy that came to fix it replaced it with an A.O Smith motor for about $200 and I've not had a problem since....

I don't think chems are the problem, I've been using BBB with some trichlor for 8 years now and haven't had any other motor problems. I do have to replace the motor on my koi pond about once every 2 years, though, and that's with no chems!

Janet

Poconos
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
If the bearings and fan aren't rusted in place a bearing replacement should be easy. May have to buy a small bearing puller at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, auto stores etc. Really have no idea why they don't last for you. Been running my Hayward Superpump since 97 and no problems. Then again it's in a poolhouse out of the weather but that shouldn;t affect the bearings which should be sealed.
Al

TRHOD12
05-13-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have the same motor on my Hayward superpump. I'd like to try replacing the bearing, but I can't seem to find what the bearing size/type that I need to replace.

I talked to a pool guy who has done some repairs for me, and he said he usually just replaces the motors on the pump when the bearing goes bad.

That seems like a waste to me, but I might have to do that unless I can find out what the bearing is that I need.

If I find anything out I will let you know.

Spurgeon
05-13-2010, 06:32 AM
I bought a new motor, but kept my old one. I intend to repair the old one myself and keep it as a back up.

The bearings are very inexpensive, if you can find out the size. Most motor shops want 100.00 or more to install the new bearings. If you go this route, you are better off to go with a new motor. Mine was 184.00 with tax. Probably can find them cheaper on line but by the time you pay freight, they are about the same.

aylad
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Lawrosa, please handle this in a private email if you want to, but remember that sales of anything are not permitted on this forum.

Thanks!!

Janet

Poconos
05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I found some oddball bearings for a shop-vac motor at mcmaster.com. You'll probably have to measure the old ones to match something but they have a huge selection. I also think Grainger may be another source.
Al

waste
05-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Glad you got the new motor.

Any chance you store chlorine in the same room as the pump? All forms of chlorine will outgas and destroy any obliging metals in the area.

TRHOD12
05-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I ordered a new motor today as well, The humming pump is driving my wife crazy. Hope to have it in a couple of days.

If you find out what bearing you need (size), if you wouldn't mind posting it, I would appriciate it. If I find out, I will do the same.

Blessings,