PDA

View Full Version : Sand Filter Acting Strange

kevincad
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Okay, I've got a 24' diameter above ground pool. Last year because of some maintenence, I replaced the sand in the filter. I don't know if this is related to my problem, but trying to cover all of the bases so that some of y'all might be able to help! This spring, I uncover the pool, fill with water, get everything running. Of course, it's spring in Georgia, everything is blooming and seed pods, etc. are falling, making keeping the skimmer clean a job and a half. Okay, what happens is that the pump will be running, getting a good strong return, life is good. Go back a couple or few hours later, hardly any return. At first, I figured the pollen was the culprit, so I'd backwash, and then the return would be strong again for a few hours. So, I decided to just shut the pump off for a minute. Turn it on, strong return for a few hours. Anybody have any ideas? This last deal has pretty much taken pollen plugging the sand filter out of the equation because I merely turned to pump off for maybe thirty seconds then back on!!

waste
04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Any chance there is too much crud in the skimmer basket? That would match the issue being solved after the pump turns off for a few minutes.

I'm thinking that you are clogging the skimmer basket and then, after the filter shuts off, some of the debris floats up, opening fresh channels in the basket, for a short time.

You may also have some 'stuff' collected in the pump basket.

Check your baskets and let us know if that IS the culprit :)

CarlD
04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Any chance there is too much crud in the skimmer basket? That would match the issue being solved after the pump turns off for a few minutes.

I'm thinking that you are clogging the skimmer basket and then, after the filter shuts off, some of the debris floats up, opening fresh channels in the basket, for a short time.

And don't forget to clean your pump skimmer as well.

kevincad
04-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, I keep the skimmer basket cleaned up, as well as the pump's basket. It's just plain strange! Any other thoughts?? Thanks again!

waste
04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Though I can't see turning the pump off as temporarily alleviating the problem - any chance the impeller has a bunch -O- crud in it? (you mention a lot of pollen and seed pods)

Still trying to help you figure this out :cool:

Poconos
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
I've been thinking of this one too. When you kill the pump do you hear any gurgling like there may be trapped air somewhere? I don't understand how it would happen but if you get any air bubbling up from the bottom of the filter that would churn up the surface but I can't see it taking a few hours to settle and block again. Also sounds crazy but if you have a recirculate mode, try that and see if the symptom occurs. That would rule out all but the filter if it does not happen. Truly an odd one.
Al

kevincad
05-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Though I can't see turning the pump off as temporarily alleviating the problem - any chance the impeller has a bunch -O- crud in it? (you mention a lot of pollen and seed pods)

Still trying to help you figure this out :cool:

Interesting though, I may take it apart and see. Thanks for the help!

kevincad
05-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I've been thinking of this one too. When you kill the pump do you hear any gurgling like there may be trapped air somewhere? I don't understand how it would happen but if you get any air bubbling up from the bottom of the filter that would churn up the surface but I can't see it taking a few hours to settle and block again. Also sounds crazy but if you have a recirculate mode, try that and see if the symptom occurs. That would rule out all but the filter if it does not happen. Truly an odd one.
Al

I'll do that, thanks.