PDA

View Full Version : Pumping off pool cover water back into pool.

CyberGypsE
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Was thinking of pumping the water off my pool cover back into pool.
Would this be a good idea or not? Thank You,

chem geek
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM
This is what I do during the winter (the pool does not freeze where I live) in order to dilute the pool water to keep salt levels in check and refresh the water. I have the output end of the hose attached to the pool cover pump feed under the cover into the pool. The only problem would be if your cover gets really dirty with a lot of organic matter (small stuff like pollen or algae) that gets into the pool, but even then this just creates more chlorine demand. The pool cover pump has a screen so most stuff on the cover doesn't get into the pool. If you were thinking of just dumping the cover contents into the pool, that might be more of a problem, but again, mostly just more work for your pool cleaner and a higher chlorine demand and you can always just filter the water through a screen or old T-shirt if you've got someone to help you out with the cover.

It's certainly a less expensive and more environmentally friendly way to get water than using tap/fill water.

Richard

CyberGypsE
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Richard,
In the past just pumped water off cover onto the lawn. With water cost rising I :) will pump water back into the pool using your T Shirt method. I won't pump off the cover completely just the cleaner surface water. Thank You .........Walter

TRHOD12
04-15-2010, 04:31 AM
I've been pumping my cover water into my pool for the past 3 years.

I usually take my leaf net and clean all the big stuff off of the cover before pumping, and I don't pump all the water off the cover back under to the pool. The last bit of water on the cover is pretty murky.

When I do this, it does turn the pool water alittle funky looking, but usually within a day or two it is cleared up pretty good.