PDA

View Full Version : FNS Filter use with Salt Water Pool

Phillbo
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello, I noticed my FNS Plus DE filter was leaking a bit at the bottom drain this morning so I was reading the label for the model info and notice it states "Suitable for Fresh Water Use Only" :eek:

Has anyone experienced issues with using this model with a Salt Water pool ?

Also, is it typically the o-ring that causes the leak at the drain plug? The filter is only a couple years old so i'm surprised it's leaking.

thepoolman1
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
A pool with a SWG is still considered a "fresh water" pool, having a salt level of about 3,200 to 3,800 ppm of salt. This is the salt required for the system to generate chlorine properly. This is approximately .32% - .38%

A true "salt water" pool has sea water or water with salt (and other mineral) concentrations about 10 times higher, in the range of 3.1% - 3.5%.

It takes special equipment to handle a true "salt water" pool. Your FNS should be fine.

20 years in the business and still learning.

CarlD
02-13-2010, 07:59 AM
You may try replacing the o-ring but be sure to lube it first, with o-ring-safe lubricant (every pool store sells it). O-rings can rot out fast, even in a non-SWG pool if you don't lube them, especially before storing them for the winter.

Personally, I take a zip-lock, mark it with a Sharpie pen, then lube the o-ring and slide it in. Since I have about a dozen for all the quick-connects and ball-valves, I never have to guess which is which. I'm not a genius--I learned the hard way after I went to open my second season!:rolleyes: