PDA

View Full Version : Spring Startup from empty

jdcrysler
04-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Hello I'm getting ready to start my pool up for the summer and I really need some instructions on how to do it with bleach. I would appreciate if someone can give me a step by step list on what I need to do. Here are the specs for my pool : 18' round, 1/2 horsepower whisperflow pump, tagelus ta40/40d sand filter, pentair model 320 automatic chlorinator, 1 skimmer, 1 center drain/return, all hard plumbed with 1 1/2". Please advise if I need the automatic chlorinator or not. I'm getting ready to remove if not needed. Thank you in advance for your help. DC.

Watermom
04-29-2006, 03:14 PM
You do not need the automatic chlorinator. Test your water with a drops-based kit and post your readings here for someone to take a look at. We need: FC, CC, TC, Ph, Alk, Calcium, CYA. Also, tell us what you last used in your pool to chlorinate with.

jdcrysler
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for replying Watermom. I plan on starting with just tap water to fill my pool. I have purchased a test kit from Ben. What I mainly need to know is how much bleach, etc. to start out with after filling my pool. Thanks DC.

Watermom
04-29-2006, 08:41 PM
As you are filling your pool, go ahead and run a complete set of tests. I know you are waiting for Ben's kit, but in the meantime, pick up a drops-based kit to use. Most municipal water supplies have some chlorine in them, so after you get a reading, you can determine how much bleach to add. You should also pick up a container of cya (also called stabilizer or conditioner. If the ingredient label says cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid it is the right stuff.) Add enough through the skimmer with the pump running to get to about 30ppm. The label will tell you how much per your volume. Then, don't retest for it, add more or backwash for about a week to give the cya plenty of time to dissolve. It dissolves very slowly in your filter. Some containers say to broadcast it across the pool, but don't. Add it through the skimmer instead. Until you begin to get a cya reading, you will have a hard time keeping chlorine in the pool. You may need to test it a couple of times a day and each time add enough bleach to take you back up to about 5ppm. After the cya begins to dissolve, you will be able to just test and dose it with bleach in the evenings - which is the best time to add chlorine. In a pool your size, every quart of 6% bleach will raise your cl by about 2ppm.

You can actually go ahead and test your tap water and post the results and then when you are filling the pool, you'll know exactly what you'll need to add. Hope this helps. Will look for some readings and then we'll go from there.

CarlD
04-30-2006, 08:20 AM
To add to Lisa's suggestions,
I always suggest you use LESS CYA than the package says to use. CYA is easy to add, hard to remove.

I personally say use 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended amount--if you have 0 and know you have 0, you can use 1/2 the amount. After a week, you'll test for CYA and the see where it reached. I find the containers of pool chemicals are wildly inaccurate about amounts--particularly containers of Di-Chlor, Dry Acid, ....and CYA.

You have an 18' round. That means about 7500 gallons. I would add 2 quarts of regular, plain unscented bleach to start. That should bring you chlorine level to 3.-5 to 4 ppm (parts per million)--a good, safe level for no CYA. Lisa's right, though, that without CYA, the chlorine level may drop. That's why you need to test it everyday. Test it in the evening, so that the chlorine won't be broken down by the sun's UV rays. Add more bleach if the Chlorine level has dropped below 1ppm. 1 quart of regular bleach should do it--it will add about 1.75ppm of chlorine to your pool. 6% Ultra bleach will add a little more per quart.

This is just until you get going and can get us good test numbers.

jdcrysler
04-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks Watermon and CarlD. I'm doing a little alterations to my deck while waiting for my new pump to arrive. I will post my test result as soon as I get the pump and fill my pool. Thanks again. DC.