PDA

View Full Version : skimmer leak

gonefishin
04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Hello all :)

Being new to this forum, and to pools, I just wanted to say hello...and thanks for a great site!

I just had our pool installed by a professional company, hired thru the place where we bought our pool. Yesterday I finally got done filling the pool. Once the water was up to height and above the skimmer plate, I noticed that there is a small drip coming from the skimmer plate on the OUTSIDE of the pool (about one drip every second).

I've got a call into the installers, but was wondering if there is anything I could do to fix the problem. So far I've tried tightening the screws on the skimmer plate (inside of pool), but all were tight. Is there anything else to try?

Thanks,

dan

CarlD
04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
I would have 2 thoughts:
1) Pool epoxy around the rim of the skimmer INSIDE the pool to seal it--but I don't think I'd do this on vinyl.
2) Lower the water till the skimmer is dry and replace whatever is broken--either the frame or skimmer is cracked or the gasket is torn or crimped.

You don't want to seal it from the outside--that will cause water to back up and rot the walls.

gonefishin
04-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think it may be the gasket. I'm going to see where I get with the installer/pool place...but I don't want to let things go for too long.

I'm certainly excited to get the water up and going. I've got Ben's kit on urgent pre-order, so I could get things ready soon :) I also disconnected my nature2 system (that came included with the pool). I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions...but would first like to get Ben's kit and post with some numbers first.

Thanks!
dan

gonefishin
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Still no word back from the company that installed my pool. :(

I'm guessing that the problem is with the gasket. Iwas looking at the pool store and the gaskets are fairly cheap. So I'm thinking of draining the pool below the skimmer line and changing it out.

My question...

Because the skimmer was put in when the water level was below 1 foot, do I have to worry about the liner coming displaced downwards once I remove the skimmer? (did that make sense?)

thanks,

dan

matt4x4
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I would think your liner has stretched in by now and it should be fine.

hrsdennis
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
It is very possible the gasket just needs to be adjusted a little. Being a new pool it probably does not need replaced. On a couple occasions I have had to go back and do this. I prefer working with a full pool. That way I can see the results without having to wait.

It is usually a case where the gasket is not pushed down far enough at the bottom. It is very easy for this to happen. I would loosen all the screws slightly and then remove the bottom ones. You may need to go up the sides or you may not. You should be able to do the adjustment and put the screws back in.

You will loose a little water but if you have a helper keeping pressure on the skimmer most of the time the loss is minimul. A lot less than if you had to empty and refill several times.

That's what I would do, Dennis

gonefishin
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the adjustment a try first (although I will let the water warm up a little ;) )

thanks,

dan

gonefishin
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
:(

oh boy! I'm starting to get bummed out with this whole pool thing.

The installer is coming tomorrow to check out the skimmer leak. But (after a long week without rain) I've noticed that the ground in the rear of the pool is wet (the grass was removed...so you see the darkened damp soil).

I just left a message on his answering machine, to check out the rear of the pool along with the skimmer. But if this is a liner problem...I really don't want to have to fill the pool again...but I don't want to start my pool off with liner problems. I sure hope the installer or pool store (or somebody?) does something about it :(

take care all>>>
dan

gonefishin
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
The guy showed uo today, while I'm at work. He told the wife he tightened the screws up and it doesn't leak any more. The wife later asked me if we had caulk on the outside of the skimmer before. Ugh!

dan

hrsdennis
05-09-2006, 04:12 PM
That's just wrong. Did he say anything about the wet ground? Is it stll wet?

Later, Dennis

gonefishin
05-09-2006, 05:35 PM
That's just wrong. Did he say anything about the wet ground? Is it stll wet?

Later, Dennis

He didn't say a word about it. I figure I'm going to wait until I get home (in the morning) before I jump to any conclusions.

oh joy,

dan

xoroniox
05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey,
After reading what happened i would be pissed off, first you went to a store and bought a brand new kit and installation after paying top dollar you now have a leaking skimmer, small leak but still a leak. and now caulk on the outside which mind you is a sore thumb, not horrible but should not be the case considering you bought new. I would not be happy in your situation and would complain to someone higher in the company. I really hope tightening the screws fixed the problem and the caulk is meant to be there. hope you enjoy the pool!

just my 2cents
-Arron

niklepikle
05-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Common problem, I think! We had our pool put in by professional (?) installers about a month ago. I had the same problem, and also could not get any help from the installers or the pool people. What I ended up doing was using teflon tape. Now, I now nothing about pools, plumbing or really anything like that - I am in medical field - but figured that it works on my faucet in the kitchen, so it certainly couldn't hurt! :D IT WORKED! Then, I noticed all of my other lines leaking slowly, where the gasket is, and did the same thing - now no leaks:D :D