PDA

View Full Version : Heater won't fire

markphin
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Hello,
I have a Pentair MiniMax 400 electronic ignition heater. I went to run the spa for the first time this season. It fired off OK and all the burners were flaming properly. It would run for a few minutes then knock off. I would toggle the switch a few times, it would run a few minutes again, and I would repeat the process. Then finally it ran fine for over two hours and quit again and now it doesn't even click. Any thoughts, as to where to begin. Oh, one other thing, the switch rocker that rocks from pool to spa now only works on the pool side. When I throw it to the spa side, the lights don't even go on. So I'm wondering if it could be something in that assembly. Although I have aremote Jandy system, so I'm not sure is that switch even plays a part or not, since with a remote system I never use it to operate tha heater.

Thanks in advance.

bb80301
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I have the same heater & similar problem. I spoke w/ Pentair tech support 1-800-831-7133, and they were very helpful in troubleshooting. There are some indicator lights on the back of the control panel that they'll ask you about. You can see them by unscrewing the two screws on the metal case part that the control panel is attached to. That section of the case will hinge down, and you'll see the LEDs on the back side of the panel.

Turns out that my problem is nasty -- the heat exchanger is leaking, which is sputtering water onto the burners & the ignition unit. Pentair says that I need a new heater -- anyone have thoughts about that?

BB

waste
05-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi guys, sorry you're having heater problems:(

You may be able to find the 'service dude's ' troubleshooting manual on line (sorry, I don't have one) and follow the tests through the 'ladder'

BB, a new heat exchanger is less expensive than a whole new heater! Look into finding one and I'll give you some help with installing it:cool: (also, were you running the pool using "heater eaters" A/K/A a trichlor feeder in the past?)

volkg35
08-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm having a similar issue now...runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then shuts off and the service light is lit, but if I leave it be it turns back on in about 10 minutes and contiunes this cycle. I opened up the front panel where the controls are and my model doesn't have the code lights (its an older pentair minimax plus 400 IID model). Pentair tech support was not as helpful for me as BB as they told me "it can be anything, call a service technician." If I find a fix I'll definitely keep you posted!

waste
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I have 0 experience with the Mini-Max:o

However, a heater that fires for ~ 5 - 10 min and then cuts off sounds like a thermal regulator issue. Please check that out and get back to us:)

volkg35
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
**Update** Looks like my Hi pressure limit switch went bad, pool guy replaced it and heater works fine now. Try to bypass the switch and see if that works, goodluck!

waste
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
THANK YOU!! for the 'field report' :)