PDA

View Full Version : New coping for SWG pool

jbuckste
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi, all. We have a limestone coping that is disintegrating from salt water corrosion. We would like to replace it with another type of coping material. Any recommendations from anyone on what type of material holds up best to salt water? I was thinking either concrete or tile (as in the same tile that we have for our waterline tile).

Jonathan

CarlD
05-03-2009, 05:46 PM
DO NOT DOUBLE POST A THREAD IN MULTIPLE FORUMS!
WE DO NOT ALLOW THAT AND WILL REMOVE THEM!

jbuckste
05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I didn't know. Can I start over with a new post? I don't think anyone will respond after your posting.

Thanks,

Jonathan

jbuckste
05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh, btw, I did note the posting rules listed below before I double-posted and since I didn't see anything there, I assumed it was not disallowed.

Jonathan

chem geek
05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Jonathan,

Soft limestone is susceptible to getting broken up from splash-out and evaporation from regular pools as well, but it can happen more quickly from salt pools due to the higher salt levels. It may be due to salt recrystallization pressure when salt gets into absorbent stone.

So if keeping a pool with the higher salt levels you need to either 1) seal the stone if it is absorbent, 2) use a hard stone that does not absorb water or 3) regularly rinse the stone with tap water to dilute or wash out the salt.

Even with concrete, you would be better off sealing the stone. We seal our textured concrete every year and seal the non-textured coping at the same time, even though our pool isn't a salt pool. It helps to make the stone/concrete last much longer.

The hardness of stone isn't just based on the type/class of stone, but on the specific quarry from which it is mined. However, limestone is typically a soft stone and is not a good choice around pools in general. Flagstone is mixed, depending on quality. Travertine has to have its small holes filled with synthetic resin or cement, but we still need to reseal our travertine shower every few years. Tile would not absorb the water, but keep in mind that grout is somewhat similar to plaster with some calcium carbonate (like limestone). Marble is hard, but expensive.

I suggest you talk to an experienced vendor that deals with various stones and is familiar with water absorbency.

Richard