PDA

View Full Version : innaccurate very high ph test??

sunofthebeach
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Opened my pool 5 days ago, it had a green tint and I could not see the bottom. The first day I put in 3 of the large bottles of the Wal-Mart ultra bleach. The 2nd day all of the green was gone. The pool looked cloudy sort of gray. I put in 2 more large bottles of bleach. The 3rd day the pool was clearer, I could see the bottle. I tested the water and my chlorine level looked to be at 3ppm. My PH was a very deep red, off the scale. Clearly above 8.

The low chlorine level confused me I added 2 more large bottles of bleach. My pool has a distinct bleach/chlorine smell.

I took a sample to the pool store. They said my chlorine was 3ppm and my ph was 8.

I believed my chlorine level should have been in the 30ppm range given all of the bleach I added.

I currently do not have the powdered dpd test, but I ordered it online.

How likely is it that my chlorine level is so high, that it is giving me an inaccurate ph reading?

What can I do to verify if this is true?

22,000 gunite pool

Cya 25, cal 200 alk 100 verified by home test and pool store test.

waterbear
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Use an OTO test (the one that turns yellow). It does not bleach out like DPD can. However it only tests TC If your chlorine is 3 it will turn yellow. It it is 30 it will turn orange to brown and the pH is not really high.