PDA

View Full Version : Tear in DE Filter grid... temporary repair?

JWB
01-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi,

I was hosing off my DE filter grids yesterday and I discovered a 1" tear in the fabric of one of them. The unit is old and probably could use replacement. However it still works fine and I'd like to keep it going for a while.

Any idea how to repair it temporarily?

Thanks

waste
01-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Though I've never tried it, I've heard that you can use a hot glue gun to patch a tear in a DE grid. Give it a try and let me know how it works.:)

JWB
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info...

Should've mentioned this earlier... This is an old Pentair Purex DE filter. The grids appear to be fabric. Do you think a hot glue gun would still work?

waste
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
As I understand it, the glue will soak into the fabric and seal the tear. It's the soaking in that's important, tape will not continue to stick once the grids get wet. If the alternative is a new grid, I would certainly give the glue a try first:)

StevenHB
05-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Did you try patching with the hot glue gun? Did it work? How, exactly, did you do it?

JWB
05-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Yes I did... it worked fine. I bought a cheap glue gun at Home Depot and just saturated the tears in the fabric. Dried very fast. I think I'll get another year or two out of it.

CarlD
05-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Great! We are always believers in saving money...don't spend today what you can put of spending till next year or the year after.

waste
05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm just glad to have remembered the advice and soo very happy it worked!! :cool: