PDA

View Full Version : Is my sand gone?

shadowman
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I have a Hayward sand filter that never needs backwashing. I guess I could attribute that to our clean Oregon air, but with tons of pollen and dirt settling on my solar blanket, we all know that isn't true. :rolleyes: When I have backwashed, vacuumed, or otherwise pumped water to waste (the street around these parts), I notice a small amount of sand on the street. I suppose this is normal but I have no idea, since I have only been here for 5 seasons, how many times this has been done. I never notice any increase in pressure even when I put a small amount of DE in the skimmer. The water looks clear but if I leave my Polaris off for a few days, I do see sediment on the bottom. I am beginning to think my filter is very low on sand. Do you agree?

aylad
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I almost always have sandy sediment in the corners of the deep end of my pool--some, I'm sure, comes from my filter, but a lot of it blows in because of my location. I also lose sand when I backwash, which is fairly frequently....but when we took my filter apart last year, (after 6 seasons and open year round), the sand level wasn't noticeably low. As long as the filter is doing a good job of cleaning your water, I wouldn'lt worry about it.

Janet