PDA

View Full Version : Three months in the program

Water_man
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi,
This is my third pool season and the first season that I follow the BBB program.
I’ve been using bleach for almost three months now and I’m almost "shocked" that I never had to shock my pool!
Let’s face it: the chemistry suggested here by Ben and Pool Geek and others makes sense, but almost all pool owners have been brained-washed that one needs to shock.
I met quite a few pool owners who sanitize their pool by the traditional way of trichlor pucks and weekly shocking and they haven’t had any major problem.
Nevertheless, I was hit by "pink algae" last year and I have my fair share of leaves and other flora, so I decided to switch.

When I started using bleach I was amazed by the amount of bleach consumed daily (about a gallon of 6% bleach) but then I was reassured it was normal. After less than a week I decided to automate my FC feed and I installed the Liquidator.

I am convinced that the BBB method and the Liquidator are a "match made in Heaven."
The Liquidator doesn’t have the ultimate hardware components and it may need some tweaking, adjustments, and reasonable DIY skills, but all things considered, it’s a great, inexpensive tool that works perfectly with the program. My FC level has been running on 4.5-7 consistently for almost three months now (CYA = 60) and the Liquidator hasn’t stopped working. My CC has always been less than 0.5! "Shocking?" – I forgot what it means!

Those who are interested to learn more about it and how to deal with common issues should look at the TFP forum. It has the largest Liquidator user group on the planet.

All in all, my pool’s water quality is outstanding. I’ve been to a couple of hotels recently and for the life of me I wouldn’t go into their pool. When one is accustomed to clean, odorless, tasteless and clear water with a clean bottom, how can one settle for less?

I’m greatly thankful to Ben, Chem Geek, Waterbear, waste, mas985 and everybody else for all the help, suggestions and the knowledge they share with others here.

CarlD
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, ain't it funny how uncommon "Common Sense" is? I've been using the B-B-B method for 8 years now and as I've learned more and more I'm amazed that people still doubt its effectiveness. The chemistry is unimpeachable.

I just came back from a two week vacation. Everyday I had my father-in-law dump a gallon of 6%/7% in the pool--I left him enough jugs. I kept the pool covered and the filter on a timer. He had to add water once, but the pool was clear and clean and warm.

waterbear
08-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I just came back from a two week vacation. Everyday I had my father-in-law dump a gallon of 6%/7% in the pool--I left him enough jugs. I kept the pool covered and the filter on a timer. He had to add water once, but the pool was clear and clean and warm.
Carl,
I can top that. I went away for 12 days in July (in Florida). As you know I keep 50 ppm borates in my water. I just shut off the pump and SWG (no one to keep an eye on the pool), shocked to about 20 ppm, and hoped for the best. I came home to a clear pool so I just fired the system up, shocked it again, and all was good!

Phillbo
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Evan , I'm curious why you shut it down completely like that? I go away for 1-2 weeks at a time multiple times during the year. A very high PH is typicaly the only thing needing corrected when I return.

I do have to use an aftermarket auto fill device to keep the water level at the proper level.

Are you concerned about a failure in the equipment ?

waterbear
08-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't have autofill and get a lot of evaporation here in FL. I knew the water level would be low when I got back, probably too low, which it was. I decided shutdown and possibly a green pool (which is an easy fix, really) were better then possibly a burned out pump.
Since I've added borates my pH stays very stable and is rarely a problem.

steveinaz
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm on my 3rd season, and have never had to shock my pool. I love my SWCG.

chem geek
02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
This will be my 5th year on BBB with only $15 of chlorinating liquid monthly (during the 7-month summer swim season) for my 16,000 gallon pool, no shocking, no other chemicals (except a small amount of acid once a month). This is in spite of my pool having 2000-3000 ppb phosphates. The truth will set you free (of labor and headaches) and keep your wallet full.

Richard

CarlD
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I shock once in a while, but very rarely and think nothing of it. Mostly I just keep the levels pretty constant. Last year was a big bleach year--but it was for EVERYONE in the region, so it was the weather.

I never measure or care about phosphates. The day I have an algae problem I can't cure is the day I'll worry about them. In the meantime, I'll continue to preach that phosphate prevention programs are programs to prevent your wallet from getting thick.

In these tough economic times it's important to NOT waste money on stupid lies and scare tactics designed solely to separate that badly needed scratch from its earner--YOU!