PDA

View Full Version : modifying a safety cover?

jtnaylor
08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
I have been needing a safety cover for my pool for a while but custom covers (I have an odd sized pool AND a pool slide in the way) have been quoted at close to 2k and over.

I finally found one the size I needed and bought it. It was close to a grand but it's a loop loc mesh safety cover. I have ONE stupid post for the water slide that will be in the way. I'm wondering if anyone has ever modified a cover in one spot. Like cut the material away in that spot and re stitched it???

That's what I'm actually thinking of doing. It depends on how bad it sticks up around that post - it may not be that bad. We shall see.

Thanks.

Vinyl_Guy
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
From all the info from the companies of covers I've installed, that's probably not an option.

The integrity of the cover would be compromised.

Once the material has cut in it, it's prone to tearing. You could end up with a tear through the entire "panel" till a stitched border stops it.

It's mostly due to the pressures being applied to it when you install it. Cutting it is going to seem (not seam) fine, the material is robust and cross weaved, but once it's stretched it's a whole different issue.

I wouldn't do it, and I have been personally told not to, by many companies (all of them in fact). I wouldn't even doubt it would void any warranty that comes with the cover, especially if things go wrong in that area. I know a modification about 7-10 years ago ran about $200-$300 USD plus shipping. That might be an option, you can do it during the summer when it's not needed, and use the cheapest ground shipping possible.

For now I'd loosen the straps in the area of the "pole" to the point where you can install the cover. Make sure there's not a lot of pressure against the pole where it meets the strap/border material. I'd even place some sort of less abrasive material between the pole and the point of contact with the cover. They do move during the winter as the take loads and then drain and "rebound". So you don't want something wearing on it back and forth every off season.

Also if you going to do this (loosen the straps), make sure the pin placement for those pins is adjusted accordingly (if necessary) so you don't run out of strap/spring in order to do so. The default location should be close enough, but if it's not and you need to lengthen the strap (through adjustment) to the point where you run out of strap, your kind of out of luck. Although there are ways of lengthening the straps ( cutting it and adding a length of strap and a pair of "buckles), it's not ideal, and I don't recommend that either.

The cover loosened in just the area around your slide "leg(s)" will still perform nearly the same. But you will find if your in an area with a lot of off season leaves and debris, more will get under the cover, and into the pool.

Also Big Warning:

If your installing the cover to protect against the access of children and pets, loosening the straps to pass by a pole or other object does make the cover have a much easier point of entry. If this is the case and there's any chance of this happening, get the cover modified and don't loosen the straps.

I can't express this enough. Yes pets and children can get under any safety cover, it's not a 100% guarantee (nothing is). But providing a "lifted" and more easily defeated area is worse. It may even attract some pets sniffing around, or exploring young children.

Pleae, keep this in mind when your making your choice of what to do.

PS: I had customers who opted for not havng custom covers and they got years of fine use out of them with a few precautions. It's not uncommon at all considering the price difference between something close to standard and something entirely custom.

jtnaylor
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

We have children - the smallest is 4 years old but the pool area is fenced in separate from the rest of the yard and we keep it closed up when the pool is not in use. I'm not concerned with them getting over there.

We ARE however surrounded by huge trees. Every year if the pool isn't covered once the leaves start falling it's a real mess. Last year I decided to just leave the pool running all winter. I figured I'd go out every day and scoop out the leaves and it would be fine. Big mistake. I would come home to hours of work trying to get them all out. And if I had to work late, or go out of town for a day or two... disaster. Soon as much as I fought to keep up - the pool turned into a swamp.

This past spring it took months to drudge out all the algae covered leaves from the bottom. Then forever to get it clear. The pool is gorgeous now and I don't want to go through all this again. Every year I put off getting a safety cover, but they really seem like the best way to go.

Thanks again.

Vinyl_Guy
08-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

We have children - the smallest is 4 years old but the pool area is fenced in separate from the rest of the yard and we keep it closed up when the pool is not in use. I'm not concerned with them getting over there.

We ARE however surrounded by huge trees. Every year if the pool isn't covered once the leaves start falling it's a real mess. Last year I decided to just leave the pool running all winter. I figured I'd go out every day and scoop out the leaves and it would be fine. Big mistake. I would come home to hours of work trying to get them all out. And if I had to work late, or go out of town for a day or two... disaster. Soon as much as I fought to keep up - the pool turned into a swamp.

This past spring it took months to drudge out all the algae covered leaves from the bottom. Then forever to get it clear. The pool is gorgeous now and I don't want to go through all this again. Every year I put off getting a safety cover, but they really seem like the best way to go.

Thanks again.

That's good, I like to hear about fences and pools locked up accordingly. It's the business owner in me I still can't shake. Safety first.

Yeah a safety cover is your best bet. Be advised though your water quality won't be as good as the traditional solid (not porous) "tarping" method, of winterizing. That's the trade off.

The meshed (porous) safety cover "rebounds" after the weight of snow on it (or stays taunt in warmer climates) . Thus allowing it to stay dry. And all the debris on top stays dry and can be easily cleaned before removal. But it drys because it drains into the pool. Even though the mesh is very fine it does put foreign material into the pool. But for a guy who left it open all winter and got it back up and running this additional chemical, filtering, and vacuuming work should be nothing. What were you thinking? (Just kidding it goes through every pool owners mind at one time or another).

As for the opening due to the slide's leg. Weight it down with waterbags as best you can to minimize the opening. Don't use "blocks" or something abrasive and heavy. If there's snow where you are, the cover does move back and forth and anything on it will cause friction over the years. Waterbags are heavy , roll, and are nonabrasive.

Even if you don't take these precautions the only leaves that make it under are the ones that will find their way there. Wind and lots of trees with leaves falling increases these chances. You'd be surprised over the course of an off season what gets pushed under, by natural forces.

It's not usually a lot from my experiences , but compared to practically nothing when there isn't these circumstances, it is relatively more.

With a vinyl liner pool it's not nearly an issue. But with gunite or painted concrete it can be. Obviously because of the staining problems inherent with those building techniques. I don't have too much experience with gunite, some concrete (mostly commercial), hence my forum name. But I have seen gunite IGs with a single impression of one leaf in them.

For one or two legs of a slide, I still think your on the right track for keeping your pool closed properly and at a reasonable cost.

jtnaylor
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Vinyl 16 x 38 with center step here. Oddball size and hard to find cover. Found the one on ebay - loop-loc and used the live.com's 25% cashback on ebay purchases going on right now to get $222 back! :) Can't beat it.

Anyway - I'll take your advise and put a waterbag around that area. The pool leg is maybe 6" away from the pool edge. I'm betting I can keep the straps around it fairly loose and do fine.

We don't get much if any snow here. It's just the leaves - good lord the LEAVES! They make me crazy.

I have a hayward color logic light in the box I'm about to install - and then I'll go on and sink the anchors for this cover.

I thought I knew where the junction box was for the pool light but now I've found another one... not sure which one it is hah! I guess I'll just shut the whole house off and start pulling wires til I figure it out.

If it's not one thing it's another when you own a pool I guess. My pump went out a few weeks ago. Replaced it - pool light went out and then I noticed it had water in it and just basically is really old and needs replacing. So I got the color logic - now another chunk of cash for the cover and my credit card is screaming at this point.

Thanks again for the advice!

waste
08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Vinyl Guy gave you great! advice on the safety cover!! Please follow it!!

If you need a little advice on installing the cover or the new LED light - let me know, I do dozens of both every year:) If you tell mr e what you see in the 2 junction boxes, I may be able to narrow down which one is for your light.

jtnaylor
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah - gotta love this place :)

Thanks for the offer. My stuff is set up so there is a main breaker on the far side of the house (in the main breaker box) that shuts off the pool equpipment - and another set (with GFI) that shuts off the pool lights.

Then they are connected to a breaker box on the opposite side of the house (where the pool equipment is located) There I have switches to control the two pumps.

As for the lights - they go to the porch where there are 2 switches. One for the floodlight on the house - and one for the underwater pool light.

Also by the pool equipment there is a hayward natural gas heater. I have never used the heater and don't even know if it works. But beside of it is a junction box sticking several inches out of the ground. The junction box is larger than the other one in question - I don't know if this is for the pool light (I suspect it is) or if it is the electricity for the heater???

The other box is closer to the pool - right against my house. It's smaller in size and doesn't stick up AS far as the other box. But it's still serveral inches above ground. If it would stop raining I'd go out and open the boxes up.